Beginning in Fall 2018, the School of Nursing is paying for a remote proctoring service called Proctorio for use in nursing courses.
Proctorio is NOT recommended, however, for every class. Because it does require more work for you AND your students, it’s recommended only for high-stakes exams and/or exams you’re willing to let students take from home or elsewhere outside the classroom.
If you DO wish to use Proctorio, the best way to get started is to contact me so we can discuss the best options for your class.
The next step is to ensure that the following resources are available within your Canvas course:
- Syllabus boilerplate
- Beginning of semester announcement
- Optional announcement (prior to major exams)
- Optional practice quiz
- Student Guide
- Settings – Best Practices (click the Tutorials link below)
When it comes to troubleshooting, here are the steps I like recommend for students:
- Prior to a major exam, it’s a good idea to re-install Proctorio (see #3 above).
- Then, if students run into trouble during an exam:
- Reinstall Proctorio if it hasn’t been done in some time.
- Close Canvas and reopen it and go back into the quiz.
- Close and restart Chrome, then step repeat step 4.
- Click the Proctorio icon (top right corner of Web Browser) for Live Chat help.
- Restart the computer.
- If all else fails, go to the 3rd floor testing center.
If you’d like to take a deeper dive and learn more about Proctorio, what settings you should be using, and how to review test results after the fact, watch the short tutorial videos I’ve created and uploaded to the School’s YouTube channel.
If you have any questions or you’d like to schedule a 1-on-1 training session to learn more about Proctorio or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact me.