You’re about to take a big exam and it’s being proctored using Proctorio. You know this because in Canvas, your exam says it’s “Remotely Proctored”, like this*:
*if you’ve never used Proctorio before, click here to start learning more.
Before you begin:
Before you can begin your exam, you’ll go through several “pre-exam checks” to ensure that your computer or laptop is set up properly to use Proctorio.
And there are a few things that Proctorio requires in order to work:
- You MUST be using Google Chrome as your web browser.
- And, you MUST be using a laptop or desktop computer. Proctorio does not work on some tablets or smartphones.
And, what can you do if you run into trouble?
No need to worry. Below are several, simple steps you can take to help resolve whatever might be going wrong.
Troubleshooting Tips and Steps to Follow:
Prior to a major exam, it’s a good idea to re-install Proctorio. This is simply to ensure that it works properly BEFORE you begin your big, stressful exam.
If you run into trouble during the pre-exam checks:
- Be patient. Sometimes you just need to wait an extra minute or two for the internet to do… whatever it’s doing.
- Make sure you have carefully read the instructions on the screen. Then, just to be sure, re-read those instructions.
- Reinstall Proctorio. Sometimes reinstalling the plugin to update the software will resolve the issue.
- Close Canvas and reopen it, then go back into your exam.
- Close and restart Google Chrome, then repeat step 4.
If the above steps don’t resolve the issue:
- Click the Proctorio icon (top right corner of Web Browser) for Live Chat help. Live Chat help is available 24/7 to assist you.
What if none of these steps work?
- If you’re taking your exam here in the School of Nursing building, go to the 3rd floor testing center. There you’ll find several computers equipped with external webcams and everything else you need to take exams with Proctorio.
- If you’re taking the exam from home, contact your instructor immediately and let them know you’ve completed the troubleshooting steps above to no avail. Your instructor will then make arrangements for you to complete the exam another way and/or contact me to help resolve issues in Canvas or Proctorio.