Beginning Fall 2023, the School of Nursing will be using Honorlock for remote proctoring of quizzes and exams in many of our Nursing courses.
Honorlock is not recommended for every class.
Because it does require more work for you AND your students, Honorlock is only recommended for high-stakes exams and/or exams you’re willing to let students take remotely (e.g., from home). Honorlock is also an excellent option for students with certain accommodations from the D&A office.
If you do wish to use Honorlock, the best way to get started is to contact me so we can discuss the best options for you and your class.
The next step is to ensure that the following resources are available within your Canvas course:
Tips for Use
Before you and your students can begin using Honorlock:
- You must use Google Chrome as your web browser.
- And, you must have the Honorlock extension installed.
- Click here to install the extension.
- Note: faculty do not need to install the extension in order to view the Honorlock results page or update exam settings. However, Honorlock will give you an error message if you don’t have the extension installed. So, in order to prevent future confusion, it’s a good idea to install it anyway.
- If you’ve used Proctorio previously, make sure you uninstall the Proctorio extension.
- Honorlock will not work if the Proctorio extension is still installed.
if students run into trouble during an exam, here’s a list of escalating troubleshooting options to try:
- Reinstall the Honorlock extension.
- Close Canvas and reopen it and go back into the quiz.
- Close and restart Chrome, then return to your course and quiz.
- Click the Honorlock icon (lower left corner of Web Browser) for Live Chat help.
- Restart the computer.
- If all else fails, go to the 3rd floor testing center.
If you’d like to take a deeper dive and learn more about Honorlock, what settings you should be using, and how to review test results, and more, visit the Honorlock Best Practices web page: https://honorlock.kb.help/best-practices-for-remote-proctoring/
If you have any questions or you’d like to schedule a 1-on-1 training session to learn more about Honorlock or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact me.