- Gale Stuart, formerly with the Office of Assessment, is the most recent recipient of the Hoelting Team Player Award.
- Hemlata Jhaveri, Housing and Food Service, has been selected by The American College Personnel Association (ACPA) Foundation for its 2013 Class of Diamond Honorees. Nominated by colleagues, honorees must demonstrate sustained contributions to ACPA, higher education and the Student Affairs profession. Jhaveri will receive the honor at the ACPA National Convention in March.
- Housing and Food Service is a finalist for the 2012 Workforce Solutions Capital Area Awards. The winners will be announced on Oct. 18.
Christa Lopez, Office of the Dean of Students, volunteered with Team Rubicon to provide Hurricane Isaac relief in Louisiana. Watch her in this TV news story. Why does she do it? “It’s for the emotional paycheck,” says Christa. “I feel my purpose in life is to be of service to others and I enjoy being a volunteer. I am fortunate to work with strong organizations with solid foundations and great people!”
- Melissa Eshelman, MD , Counseling and Mental Health Center, was named president-elect of the Austin Psychiatric Society
(APS) for 2012-13. APS is the local chapter for the Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians.
- Brandy Whitten, University Health Services, was re-elected to represent the university on The University of Texas System-Wide Insurance Advisory Committee (SWIAC).
“A Tip of the Hat to . . .”
KXAN-TV Meteorologist Jim Spencer shared the following comments about Chris Burnett, Recreational Sports, on the KXAN-TV news blog:
“Many in our community support the [Helping Hand Home for Children] in many different ways. For example, this Saturday Chris Burnett, the outdoor recreation program director for the UT-Austin Division of Recreational Sports, is taking a group of children paddle boarding out on Lady Bird Lake, and then in November will have them on campus to do some rock climbing and a tour of campus, including a ‘tower tour.’ We salute Chris and all of those who volunteer and otherwise support the Helping Hand Home! You are truly making a difference in the lives of the most vulnerable in our community!”