Student Affairs Standouts

Rich Bredahl and Nick Fomin, Housing and Food Service, presented “Choosing the Best Technology to Serve Your Summer Conferences” at the Association of College and University Housing Officers-International (ACUHO-I) Business Operations Conference.

Nick Fomin, Housing and Food Service, presented “Summer Conference Staffing Structures and Task Flow” at the ACUHO-I Business Operations Conference.

Courtney Howard and Alison Kothe, Housing and Food Service, presented “More Than Bedrooms: Learning Galleries in the Residence Halls” at the ACUHO-I Business Operations Conference.

Justin Jaskowiak and Aaron Voyles, Housing and Food Service, completed the CareerSmart Management Essentials Certificate Program. The program is an in-depth look at the policies, practices and procedures needed to be a successful manager at UT Austin.

Alex Kappus, New Student Services, spoke about lessons learned in mentorship with his mentor at the Big Brothers Big Sisters mentorship event, “The Cross-Town Shout-Out for Mentorship,” in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Kyle Clark and Alex Kappus, New Student Services, were invited by the Leadership and Ethics Institute (LEAP) to present about inclusive leadership to first-year LEAP participants on Oct. 7 and 9.

DHFS-epa award

Hunter Mangrum, Mustafa Golam (EPA) & Rene Rodriguez

Hunter Mangrum, Housing and Food Service, accepted the 2013 Food Recovery Challenge Achievement Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on behalf of DHFS for efforts to reduce food waste in a university setting.

Soncia Reagins-Lilly

Jeremiah Gunderson & Soncia Reagins-Lilly

Soncia Reagins-Lilly, Dean of Students, served as a panelist for the “Old Titles, New Challenges: A Panel Discussion with Deans of Students” presentation at the Texas Association of College & University Student Personnel Administrators (TACUSPA) annual conference on Oct. 13.

Reed Rallojay, Edna Dominguez, Gage Paine & Smita Ruzicka

Reed Rallojay and Smita Ruzicka, Office of the Dean of Students, presented “Burnt Orange Society: Implementing an Intentional Student Engagement Program” at the TACUSPA annual conference on Oct. 13.

“A Tip of the Hat to…”

Angelica Casarez, Housing and Food Service, who received this grateful note from a student after seeing him drop his wallet: “I just wanted to write an email expressing the extremely positive experience I had at J2 dining hall today. One of the workers at the Jester Bakery, Angelica, pointed out that my wallet had fallen out of my pocket. Naturally, I appreciate this very much, as I was carrying my identification materials and credit cards. It is a relief that I can count on staff members to help students in ways as simple as this.”