Message from Gage Paine

Gage Paine, Vice President for Student Affairs

“Change is such hard work.”  

Billy Crystal

Change — for some people it’s an exciting prospect. For them, the experience of routine is deadening and if change isn’t on the horizon, they’ll find a way to create it. For others, the idea of change is difficult — routine is comforting and reliable. No matter our perspective, change is disruptive and we all cope with it in different ways.

“Change is inevitable — except from a vending machine.”

-Robert C. Gallagher

Even people who embrace change as a general rule have something they would rather not change. But change is part of the growth process. When we learn something new, we change. When we try something new, the very act of trying it creates change. As educators, no matter what our title is, we are in the business of change. Therefore, we must be able to embrace change as we ask others to change in some way.

“All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.”

Anatole France

And so we come to today’s change.

This is my last newsletter column for the Division of Student Affairs and May 31 is my last day working at UT Austin. There is not enough space or words to express what I have learned, the ways I have changed (and I hope grown), and the true joy I have experienced working with the amazing staff, students and faculty of UT Austin.

Over the past four years, our Division has done great work and made significant changes. We have worked together to develop and implement our Strategic Plan, to define and hold ourselves to a standard of excellence and created a shared vision of health, wellbeing and safety as a guide for our work. Together we have made a difference for our students and each other.

For your great work — the way you care about each other and for our students — for your enthusiasm, creativity, energy, compassion and many other attributes, all I can say is thank you.

I count myself privileged to have served as the vice president for student affairs and I’m honored to count myself as an alumna of UT Austin. I am grateful for the chance to know and have worked with each one of you.

Hook ‘em Horns!

Gage