Reflections from Soncia

29643098896_8857b16bdb_o

Kathy Saeidi (University Unions) and Soncia Reagins-Lilly at the Division-wide Staff Meeting in the Texas Union.

I was delighted to see a full house for our Fall Division-wide Staff Meeting, and to hear such questions from our team for Maurie McInnis, executive vice president and provost. I found Provost McInnis’ presentation on “The Collaborative Relationship between Academics and Student Affairs” invigorating, and I hope you felt the same.

It was a pleasure to get to share a little bit about myself, as we get to know each other better through our work over the coming year. I also shared my vision for the future of the Division of Student Affairs so that we can chart our future direction as a team. Our top priority is the student experience where we will move forward by:

• Focusing on the complete student experience
  • Listening to students and investing in their needs using a community approach
  • Working with faculty to support and learn from each other
  • Building and strengthening Division staff
  • Creating opportunities for departmental collaborations within the Division and across the Forty Acres
  • Creating opportunities for staff to implement Division priorities
  • Establishing fiscal solvency for the Division and its nine departments

We continue to head in the right direction which is clearly illustrated in the work highlighted in our 2015-2016 Impact Report. The publication is launching today. The theme is “Texas to the Core,” focusing on how our work in the Division supports the university’s core values. Please take a look to discover the many ways our Division contributes to the student experience by exemplifying the university’s core values in our programs, service and facilities.

I look forward to our work together in the days ahead, and thank you for the work you do.

In support of our students,
Soncia