Staff

Sara Dube, MPH, CHES

My name is Sara Dube and I’m the Senior Research Program Coordinator for the Widen Lab. I earned my Master’s of Public Health degree from The University of Texas School of Public Health, and Bachelor’s of Science in Biology from The University of Texas at Austin, where I also graduated from the UTeach program. I am a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) and I’m passionate about health promotion and public health. I joined the Widen Lab in 2019 to coordinate the Mother and Infant Nutrition (MINT) Study, and have a personal interest in bridging the gap between research and practice, and working on projects with under-served and under researched populations to address disparities.

Fun fat: I was born and raised in ATX, but have also lived in Houston and San Antonio.

Kimberly Ornelas

My name is Kimberly Ornelas, and I am the Research Program Coordinator for the MAGIC Project. Originally from El Paso, I pursued my degree in Nutritional Sciences at The University of Texas at Austin in 2016. My passion lies in empowering communities through health and wellness initiatives. I love working with people and empowering them with new skills and competencies; it’s something I find deeply fulfilling. I’m dedicated to advancing the field of nutrition through innovative research, promoting health, and providing individuals and communities with education and resources. In my role, I’m excited about contributing to important research and community engagement efforts. I aim to leverage my experiences to promote wellness and address health disparities within the communities we serve.

Fun Fact: My mom and sister named me after the original Pink Power Ranger from the 90’s.

Tamara Garza

My name is Tamara Garza, and I am the Research Assistant for the MAGIC Project overseeing recruitment. I am originally from Rio Grande Valley. I relocated to Austin in 2019, where I obtained my bachelor’s degree in public health from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2023. My expertise lies in researching childhood development and recruitment, and my passion lies in promoting health within Hispanic communities and among children.

Michelle Contreras

My name is Michelle Contreras, and I am the Laboratory Research Assistant for the Widen Lab. I earned my Bachelors of Science in Nutrition from The University of Texas at Austin in December 2023. Originally from Guadalajara, Mexico, I have been in Austin for almost five years. I will be supporting the MAGIC study and the Widen Lab. My passion is community nutrition, especially supporting the Hispanic population.

Fun Fact: I was born in California but lived in Mexico for 16 years. My favorite food is any type of tacos