The purpose of the Student Pharmacist Recovery Network (SPRN) is to provide resources to help fight the stigma against mental health, substance misuse/dependence, and recovery. It was designed by conscientious students, faculty members, and staff members of the college. SPRN students, faculty, and staff members are able to refer others to the appropriate University and Austin resources that best address their particular needs.
- To focus pharmacy student activities in the college on educating others about drug problems including overuse, misuse, and addiction, and how the healthcare team works together in their diagnosis and treatment;
- To enhance interprofessional collaboration in these areas among health professional students at the university;
- To provide an organization that can serve as a safety net for information and referral to help students who are having problems with mental and drug issues;
- To advocate for curricular changes that will increase pharmacy students’ knowledge about how to handle drug problems in patients.
We provide stipends to attend the following:
- APhA Institute on Alcoholism and Drug Dependencies (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Hazelden Betty Ford Summer Institute for Medical Students (Palm Springs, CA / Center City, MN)
- Hazelden Betty Ford Addiction Medicine Conference (Palm Springs, CA)
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Texas Annual Conference (Austin, TX)
- Texas Association of Addiction Professionals Conference (San Antonio, TX)
SPRN Constitution (PDF format)