Foreign Policy by Day, Culture by Night

By Frances Parra

As an International Business student, I have eagerly awaited the chance to study and work abroad in a meaningful way. I realized that such work would take me out of my comfort zone and test my professional and language skills. It is with those feelings that I approached my position at International IDEA’s offices in Panama.

When I first heard about the opportunity to intern in Latin America, the indecisiveness I was feeling about which program to apply to and where to go in the world, went away. As a Latina, I’ve been eager to come back to my roots in a deeper way. I have always felt so disconnected from my family origins as most were thousands of miles away in Venezuela and chances to visit were slim. So, I was ecstatic about the idea of living, working, and exploring one of the most beautiful countries in the Americas.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a humidity unbeknownst to me as an Austinite. The tropical climate we were about to experience for six weeks was intense, but we soon realized the AC indoors is (usually) working overtime to overcompensate. I truly couldn’t contain my anticipation for this next chapter in Panamá City.

A key part of my success this summer has been the little family that this internship provided me with. The six of us came together from the start to (quite literally) navigate this country, always find something to laugh about, and share some unforgettable moments. Although we go our separate ways when we arrive at the office, we come together for daily lunch, weekend trips, or to debrief new recommendations we heard from a coworker. After work, we try out new cafés, go on the hunt for a good burger, seek out Panamanian food, and duck into the quaint shops we see along the way.

My favorite part about Panamá City is the abundance of cultures. On every corner is a different cuisine, different language being spoken, or different institution of some sort representing another culture around the world. I have immensely appreciated the diffusion of customs and traditions that are evident across the country. This trip has also given me the opportunity to fully immerse myself in my bilingualism (and improve in every sense of the word). I have developed a more robust conversational, as well as professional, Spanish, while getting to do my research in English, too. This trip has also given me the chance to venture outside of my comfort zone. My first week I rode the metro alone and did some walking around which made me feel like a local. Other than the metro, Uber has truly become my best friend while living abroad.

As someone with less academic experience in democracy and electoral politics, but rather a personal interest, the learning curve has been steep. Since participating in the preparatory course at UT, I have been learning as much as I possibly can about constitutional development and democracy.

My daily assignments consist of research on topics related to political risk and Latin American foreign policy—two key topics shaping democratic governance in Latin America. Within each issue area, I spend time finding a range of information. First and foremost, I find and summarize key articles, op-eds, and books on these topics, with the intention of eventually writing a report that includes an annotated bibliography. Next, I find experts on the respective subjects, which I have been compiling to share with IDEA. I also research universities and institutions that offer courses or other resources on the topics. All of this aims to help inform IDEA’s work on these issues with governments in the region.

In working with a multinational organization, I have gained the experience of working across borders, communicating across time zones, and being part of a diverse team. My supervisor is based in Colombia, which means communication is increasingly important given that all is done through Zoom and WhatsApp. But, my office location has also afforded me the opportunity to be surrounded by a myriad of other organizations and people. The International IDEA Regional Office is located in the annex building of Panama’s Electoral Tribunal. The goal of the institution our office calls home is to make politics and policy more innovative and accessible to the public of Panamá. Each day, multiple events are taking place at the Tribunal, which makes work all the more exciting.

On top of the work taking place at our desks, IDEA also organizes paseos (field trips) for us to fully experience the history and culture of the country. Thus far, I have been to the National Archives, museums, a think tank, and various libraries. As a student, it has been so valuable to see these places firsthand and be able to connect with others who have a stake and interest in the work we are doing.

In our free time, the group of us have made excursions across the city and even from one coast to the other. The first weekend, we joined some of our IDEA colleagues in celebrating our arrival to Panamá with dinner, good company, and even a yacht experience to the neighboring island of Taboga. Within the city limits, the six of us have spent time exploring one another’s neighborhoods as our Airbnbs can be found throughout the city!

More than anything, I have fallen in love with Casco Viejo, the ‘old quarter’ of Panamá, lined with colorful casas, overflowing with history, and the perfect place to socialize. Some of the best skyline views can be found from the rooftop terraces in this part of town. Another day trip we made outside of work was the to Panamá Canal where we got to watch as an enormous cruise ship seamlessly crossed from one ocean to another.

El Valle de Antón.

One of the most fun parts of spending time abroad has been making plans to see what interests us most. We took a road trip (and boat ride) to the San Blas Archipelago. In this indigenous territory, we were able to see the richness and natural beauty in the land of the Guna people. The crystal-clear waters and island retreats were such a relaxing way to disconnect and truly be present with one another. We were fortunate enough to stay on an island with just the six of us and a small community of Guna people; being able to experience an island to ourselves is truly a moment of this trip I will never forget. As soon as we returned home, we started planning the next trip and after a short 3-hour bus ride spent the next weekend in El Valle de Antón, a beautiful valley town covered in greenery, waterfalls, and the kindest people. I truly can’t wait to see where this experience will take us next.