Join Us

Projects for which we are actively recruiting.

• Plasma assisted ignition
  • Turbulent premixed combustion of carbon-free fuels: theory and simulation
  • Interfaces in turbulent flows
  • Ablative material modeling
  • Numerical methods for the simulation of reactive and plasma flows on high-performance computing architectures

Information for prospective Postdoctoral Fellows.

If you hold a PhD degree and would like to join our research group at UT Austin, please send an email to Prof. Bisetti (fbisetti@utexas.edu) directly. Attach your CV and a short cover letter that summarizes your professional accomplishments and interests.

Information for prospective graduate students.

1. I’m interested in joining the Reactive Flow Modeling Laboratory as a PhD student; but I have not applied or been admitted to UT Austin yet. Should I send you an email with my CV and other application material?

Yes. Feel free to send me a brief and concise email. Please include your CV only. If your qualifications and academic experience are a good fit for our research group and I am actively looking to hire a graduate student, I will reply to your email. If not, it is unlikely I will reply at all. For that I apologize in advance, but you should be aware that faculty at leading US research universities receive dozens of inquiries from prospective students.Be advised that, even after exchanging emails with me, you must submit an application for graduate studies in Aerospace Engineering. Start by reading about the UT Graduate School admission process and information specific to graduate studies in Aerospace Engineering on the ASE/EM Department website.

In the admission forms and cover letter (1) select the “Aerothermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics” area and (2) state clearly your interest in working with Dr. Fabrizio Bisetti. Once you are done with the application, please send me a brief notification by email and I will review your material as it is received by the ASE/EM Department.

2. I do not have any financial support to pay for graduate school at present. Will UT Austin and/or the ASE/EM Department provide a stipend and pay my tuition and fees if I am admitted to the MS or MS/PhD or PhD program?

Admission to the MS/PhD and PhD graduate programs requires (almost always) a sponsoring faculty who is willing and able to hire the graduate student and provide financial assistance. Exceptionally qualified MS applicants are most often admitted albeit without a specific offer of financial support.

I am always looking for talented and hard working students among the pool of MS/PhD and PhD program applicants. Your best chance at securing admission with financial support is to prepare and submit a strong application package (see answer to question 1 above).

3. I decided that I’d like to be involved in the research done at the Reactive Flow Modeling Laboratory. Where can I find more information?

You can find plenty of information in the Research section of this website. Additionally, check out the Publications page for journal and conference articles. Finally, you can take a look above for a list of the available projects. If you still have questions, please contact us or stop by Dr. Bisetti’s office (W.R. Woolrich LabsĀ (WRW), Room 301A, at the University of Texas at Austin).

4. Where can I learn more about the University of Texas at Austin?

Visit UT’s main website here.

5. Where can I learn more about the Department of Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics at UT?

Visit the ASE/EM department website here.

6. What courses are the most appropriate for conducting research within the Reactive Flow Modeling Laboratory?

The work done at RFML is by definition interdisciplinary, involving expertise in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, chemistry, computer science, software engineering, applied math, and numerical methods.

The University of Texas at Austin offers courses covering all of these disciplines. You can check out the course offerings on the UT Graduate Catalog.

Academic advisors assist graduate students in selecting courses that best suit the student’s interests and prepare the student for graduate work.