LAH Upper-Division Scholarship Opportunity

The deadline for Upper-division scholarship applications is September 25, 2020 at 5pm.

Please apply online through the College of Liberal Arts scholarship portal.

The full essay prompt is:

Laughter has a deep philosophical meaning, it is one of the essential forms of the truth concerning the world as a whole, concerning history and man; it is a peculiar point of view relative to the world; the world is seen anew, no less (and perhaps more) profoundly than when seen from the serious standpoint.  Therefore, laughter is just as admissible in great literature, posing serious problems, as seriousness.  Certain essential aspects of the world are accessible only to laughter. – Mikhail Bakhtin

There are two kinds of humor. One kind that makes us chuckle about our foibles and our shared humanity—like what Garrison Keillor does. The other kind holds people up to public contempt and ridicule—that’s what I do. Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful. I only aim at the powerful. When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel—it’s vulgar. – Molly Ivins

When humor works, it works because it’s clarifying what people already feel.  It has to come from someplace real.  – Tina Fey

Now, I’m the kind of guy who, if somebody says, “There’s no way to make this funny,” I want to prove that wrong. I believe that with the right nuance, with the right touch, you can emphasize the funniness in anything. That’s just my comedy ideal. … – Jordan Peele

What makes something funny? What is the role or purpose of humor?  Are there certain topics or situations when humor is inappropriate? In considering these questions, you may explore humor from either a personal or a social perspective.

Questions? Email LAHScholarships@austin.utexas.edu