Please share this $5,000 scholarship for next year widely with any LGBTQIA+ and ally Geosciences/STEM students who might want to apply!
Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Presidential Scholarship
If you are an LGBTQIA+ advocate in the Jackson School of Geosciences, there is a scholarship for you! Please tell anyone who qualifies to apply for the Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Presidential Scholarship.
The purpose of the Johnson-Bates Respect and Inclusion Presidential Scholarship Program is to provide a college scholarship to students who play an active role in stopping or preventing bullying (particularly as it is displayed towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer people), as well as work to improve the climate on campus for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQIA+) communities.
A minimum of one (1) $2,500 undergraduate scholarship will be available per semester for a total of $5,000 per year. Scholarships are awarded for one year only, but recipients may re-apply for a second year. Applicants must be majoring in the Jackson School of Geosciences or other connected fields.
Criteria for Eligibility
- Applicants must be full-time University of Texas at Austin undergraduate students enrolled in any STEM discipline, with a preference for Geoscience majors & minors, including, Environmental Science, General Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Environmental Science and Sustainability, Geological Sciences Teaching, Geosystems Engineering and Hydrogeology, Geological Sciences.
- Applicants must have completed at least 45 credit hours in residence at UT Austin by the time the award is received.
- Applicants must have demonstrated leadership surrounding issues affecting the LGBTQIA+ community, but do not need to identify as part of the LGBTQIA+ population in order to qualify.
- Applicants should have demonstrated or expressed interest in volunteerism, student service within LGBTQIA+ organizations, The University of Texas at Austin student government programming and initiatives, and leadership development training in LGBTQIA+ diversity.
- An applicant must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
For more information or questions, contact:
Recommendation form: tinyurl.com/RecJohnsonBates