I Like to Move It, Move It

Before starting this research expedition, I had a few questions about what living on the ship would look like. One of the big questions was: “Is there even a gym? And if so, what’s it like?”. Sadly, the pictures I saw didn’t tell me much, so for future reference of those who care, I’d love to layout my thoughts and observations about the gym here on the R/V Langseth. First off, being creative is a must, but if you do a good job of it, the pulley system can give most of your muscles a good workout. They have a wide selection of bars you can attach to the pulleys and some you can stack free weight on. There is a pullup bar and dumbbells that go up to 40 pounds in increments of 5. There is even a bench outside! However, be sure to put on less weight than you normally would and take it slow. Nobody wants to end up cutting the cruise short because of a shoulder injury. For the cardio lovers there is a treadmill, bike, rowing machine and an elliptical. Plenty of the crew enjoy working out, but its not very often that more than 1-2 people are working out at the same time. Overall, the gym has plenty to utilize and I haven’t had many issues targeting the muscles I want.