Espinoza manages the Chevron Digital Petrophysics Laboratory at UT-PGE, which accounts with an X-ray microtomograph Nikon XT-H 225 with 225 kV microfocus X-ray source with 3 µm focal spot size and an X-ray detector Varian Paxscan 1500 by 1900 pixels. In addition, we have developed specialized core holders to image geological media under subsurface pressure and temperature conditions.
Featured scans: Mancos Shale Fracture Imaging
Other work: https://www.digitalrocksportal.org/projects/
Current certified users
|Fangya Niu <email@example.com>|
|Mohamad Abdo <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Pierre Aerens <email@example.com>|
|Gabriel Gallardo-Giozza <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Javier Guerrero <email@example.com>|
|Glen Baum <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
Research papers that benefited from this instrument
(Please add the following to your acknowledgements section: “X-ray microfocus scanning was performed at the Chevron Digital Petrophysics Laboratory <https://sites.utexas.edu/eagle/tools/microct/>.”)
- Tong S, Miller C, Mohanty K. Generation of In-Situ Proppant through Hydro-Thermal Reactions. InSPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference and Exhibition 2019 Jan 29. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Khan HJ, Prodanovic M, DiCarlo DA. The Effect of Vuggy Porosity on Straining in Porous Media. SPE Journal. 2019 Jan 1.
Chen X, Espinoza DN. Surface area controls gas hydrate dissociation kinetics in porous media. Fuel. 2018 Dec 15;234:358-63.
Espinoza DN, Jung H, Major JR, Sun Z, Ramos MJ, Eichhubl P, Balhoff MT, Choens RC, Dewers TA. CO 2 charged brines changed rock strength and stiffness at Crystal Geyser, Utah: Implications for leaking subsurface CO 2 storage reservoirs. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 2018 Jun 30;73:16-28.
- Luo JS, Chen X, Espinoza DN, Nguyen QP. X-Ray Micro-Focus Monitoring of Water Alternating Gas Injection in Heterogeneous Formations. InSPE Improved Oil Recovery Conference 2018 Apr 13. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
Chen X, Espinoza DN. Ostwald ripening changes the pore habit and spatial variability of clathrate hydrate. Fuel. 2018 Feb 15;214:614-22. See video: https://faculty.engr.utexas.edu/espinoza/news/xenon-hydrate-growth-single-pore
- Aman M, Espinoza DN, Ilgen AG, Major JR, Eichhubl P, Dewers TA. CO2‐induced chemo‐mechanical alteration in reservoir rocks assessed via batch reaction experiments and scratch testing. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology. 2018 Feb;8(1):133-49.
- Miller C, Tong S, Mohanty KK. A Chemical Blend for Stimulating Production in Oil-Shale Formations. InUnconventional Resources Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, 23-25 July 2018 2018 Sep 28 (pp. 2026-2034). Society of Exploration Geophysicists, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Hassan A, Chandra V, Yutkin MP, Patzek TW, Espinoza DN. Improving Pore Network Imaging & Characterization of Microporous Carbonate Rocks Using Multi-Scale Imaging Techniques. InSPE Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference 2017 Nov 13. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Ramos MJ, Espinoza DN, Torres-Verdín C, Grover T. Use of S-wave anisotropy to quantify the onset of stress-induced microfracturingShear anisotropy and microfracturing. Geophysics. 2017 Nov 1;82(6):MR201-12.
Guiltinan EJ, Cardenas MB, Bennett PC, Zhang T, Espinoza DN. The effect of organic matter and thermal maturity on the wettability of supercritical CO2 on organic shales. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 2017 Oct 1;65:15-22.
- Mohanty KK, Tong S, Miller C, Honarpour MM, Turek E, Peck DD. Improved hydrocarbon recovery using mixtures of energizing chemicals in unconventional reservoirs. In SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition 2017 Oct 9. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
Khan H, Mirabolghasemi M, Yang H, Prodanovic M, DiCarlo D, Balhoff M, Gray K. Comparative study of formation damage due to straining and surface deposition in porous media. InSPE International Conference and Exhibition on Formation Damage Control 2016 Feb 24. Society of Petroleum Engineers.
Khan, H.J., 2016. Improved permeability estimation of formation damage through imaged core flooding experiments (Doctoral dissertation).
- Khan H, Prodanovic M, DiCarlo D. Particulate Straining in Simple Porous Media. Digital Rocks Portal. 2016.
Using this instrument
For one-time use or a few scans you will be better off using the Geosciences facility UTCT.
- Get access to instrument through your PI by contacting DN Espinoza.
- Take X-ray safety course OH 306 X-Ray Safety and any other required lab saftey courses/training (contact: email@example.com)
- Study basics of CT scanning: Wellington, S. L., & Vinegar, H. J. (1987). X-ray computerized tomography. Journal of petroleum technology, 39(08), 885-898, and Ketcham, R. A., & Carlson, W. D. (2001). Acquisition, optimization and interpretation of X-ray computed tomographic imagery: applications to the geosciences. Computers & Geosciences, 27(4), 381-400.
- Take basic training course for Nikon microCT with <firstname.lastname@example.org> and watch/study training videos.
- Train with other certified users under their supervision.
- Contact email@example.com to request an exam to become a certified user.