Am I dreaming?

horse again

gamma at Pacaya

Where has the time gone? I swear I can’t believe I’ve been here for a week already. From the butterflies that filled my stomach the day before I left to the moment I was dropped off with my homestay family, it still hadn’t really sunk in that I was going to be in Guatemala and soon to be Belize. Not only that, we hit the ground running with classes and activities planned for our first weekend. While a few braved hiking an overnight volcano, a group of us decided to go on a “shorter” hike at Pacaya and visit the black sands of Monterrico.

The hike, in and of itself, was intense! I hadn’t even made it through five minutes when I decided to take a horse to the top. Turns out I would only use Burrito (horse’s name) half-way up and hike the most difficult part. I can’t even count how many times I had to stop to catch my breath, but the view at the top was so worth it. We also had an amazing tour guide, Kevin, who stuck with me the majority of the time. Special shout out to him and everyone for being patient with me the whole trip.

If I had to pick a favorite or most memorable moment thus far though, I would have to say it was between visiting Iximche and letting indigenous women dress us in traditional clothing. Knowing that I have indigenous blood in my lineage that was somehow lost and being able to partake in such an experience was both humbling and breathtaking.

No doubt, a lot has happened in just one week, so I’m eager to see what else happens in the weeks to come!

Author: Veronica Rivera

Hola! My name is Veronica, but I go by Vero for short. I’m a first-generation college student from San Benito, TX (down in the Valley) and am going into my final year of studying Political Communications and Education. I love dancing, taking pictures, playing the accordion and learning about other cultures. Fun fact: I’ve shaved my head TWICE! This is my first time studying abroad and I couldn’t have picked a better program. Not only are Guatemala and Belize amazing countries, they are helping me learn about indigenous cultures that are in ways similar to my ancestors. Beyond excited to be here!

Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.