UTeach Fine Arts Advisory Committee Bylaws:
How We Work Together as a Community
The University of Texas at Austin
College of Fine Arts
The UTeach Fine Arts Advisory Committee would like to acknowledge that we will meet on Indigenous land. We acknowledge and pay our respects to the Carrizo & Comecrudo, Coahuiltecan, Caddo, Tonkawa, Comanche, Lipan Apache, Alabama-Coushatta, Kickapoo, Tigua Pueblo, and all the American Indian and Indigenous Peoples and communities who have been or have become a part of these lands and territories in Texas, here on Turtle Island.
Article I Purpose
The UTeach Fine Arts Advisory Committee functions in an advisory capacity to the UTeach Fine Arts Program at the University of Texas at Austin. The Advisory Committee advises the Associate Dean of UTeach Fine Arts on matters of the design, delivery, evaluation, and policy related to the Texas state teaching licensure programs in music, theatre, art, and dance. The Advisory Committee has no legislative or programmatic authority in its advisory role. The Advisory Committee plays an integral role in reflecting the realities of the field and opportunities for students entering it.
Article II Objectives
The primary objective of the Advisory Committee is to support the goals and policies of UTeach Fine Arts by:
- Sharing perspectives about fine arts education from a variety of educational and community backgrounds to positively impact recruitment, retention, graduation, and job placement.
- Offering feedback on specific areas of the UTeach Fine Arts program resulting in suggestions designed to improve aspects of the program.
Article III Membership
- Members – The membership of the Advisory Committee shall include representatives of at least four of the following:
- UTeach Fine Arts administrators, faculty, and staff
- UT Austin faculty and staff outside of UTeach Fine Arts
- UTeach Fine Arts students and alumni
- Public and/or private school representatives
- Regional education service centers
- Members of the greater Austin arts community
- Term of Membership
- Advisory Committee members serve by invitation and on a volunteer basis only.
- An appointment will be for a term of two academic years. Any member may resign from the Advisory Committee through written notice to the Associate Dean of UTeach Fine Arts. The resignation will be effective immediately upon receipt of such notice.
- Member Responsibilities
- Each member is expected to attend meetings (at least 2 meetings per academic year, approximately 2 hours in length) and participate in program activities when able.
- Each member is expected to remain aware of issues impacting UTeach Fine Arts and the program’s activities.
Article IV Organization
1. Advisory Committee Operations
- The Associate Dean of UTeach Fine Arts will develop an agenda for each meeting, accepting appropriate submissions from Advisory Committee members.
- The Administrative Associate for UTeach Fine Arts will record meeting minutes for each meeting, distribute them to each member, and post them to the UTeach Fine Arts website.
- Meetings shall be conducted in an informal manner unless otherwise specified in these bylaws.
- Standing subcommittees will be established by the Associate Dean of UTeach Fine Arts only when necessary.
- Subcommittee membership is on a voluntary basis.
Article V Amendment
The bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting by consensus of the membership in attendance.