Last Week in Milan :-//

The program is almost over and I really can’t believe it! It all seems so surreal to me to even be on this trip. This week was full of designs that made me think of home. I’ve loved Italy, but I think – dare I say it –  I might be ready to go back.

This past week we visited Kartell and Artemide. I loved the playful/ beautiful nature they brought to their designs. At Artemide, I particularly loved their colorful cross light that had names of different authors. My brother actually did his study abroad trip researching Jorge Luis Borges and living in his hometown in Argentina. I was subtly reminded of the guy who pushed me to apply to the program. He’s also the guy who gave me a copy of Calvino’s Cosmicomics as a birthday present when I was 12 – so moth to a flame with me and this light, right?

We also went to Venice this week. I really enjoyed visiting the Biennale and going to all the different countries. Germany’s “UnBuilding Walls” was among my favorites and it hit really close to home- quite literally as my family now lives 30 minutes away from the Progresso, Mexico border. In fact, this whole week in politics has been rough on myself and my family- hearing  the horror stories of children and families being pulled apart.  How can I, a daughter of immigrants who took the same route less than 50 years ago, truly enjoy myself in another country when my own blood is suffering?

UnBuilding Walls

If you aren’t completely broke from this trip, consider donating to: RAICES, TX Civil Rights Project, Together Rising, or the ACLU.

-From the Mexico pavilion

I know, I KNOW- what a depressing blog post, but this is the personal level that design speaks to me on !!! & honestly- isn’t it so much better that way? Shouldn’t design make you feel something?

#dont@meImnotadesignmajor

One thought on “Last Week in Milan :-//”