Giz asked, so I answered

Giz Asks is a regular Gizmodo feature where scholars (usually) are asked a question of broad interest to the readership and given some space to answer without major editing or need to speak in soundbites. They asked me which country had the most censored internet, so I tried to answer without resorting to a top 10 list. You can read more here — can’t embed the article so you’ll have to make do with this link:

One Reply to “Giz asked, so I answered”

1. Prof. Dillon,

I thought this quote from your response was interesting: “Governments worldwide will continue to seek influence over information they deem threatening so (to) citizens.”

Considering how access to information has grown significantly over the last couple decades, I worry about how we consume information due to what seems like a renewed effort to disinform rather than censor. When taken into account how individuals in power, whether political or corporate, wield information can be more damaging and pitched as “continued transparency.” Now more than ever, we need to educate people on why access to information is important but also how to determine the whether information is accurate.