CLAVIS offers both recruitment and continuing merit-based fellowships to masters and doctoral students. For the latter, fellowships replace and/or supplement departmental teaching assistantships. The Center also makes funding available on an ongoing basis to students for research and conference travel, foreign language acquisition, and other scholarly activities.
CLAVIS students have also been successful in winning highly competitive extramural grants, fellowships, and internships, including:
- Fulbright U.S. Student Grant (x3)
- Fulbright Grant for Study in the U.S. (x3)
- Mellon International Dissertation Research Fellowship, Social Science Research Council (x2)
- Pre-doctoral Residential Fellowship, Getty Foundation
- Chester Dale Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Bolin Fellowship, Williams College
- Society of Fellows, Dartmouth College
- Dissertation Fellowship, Ford Foundation
- Tinker Pre-Dissertation Field Research, Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Art, UT Austin
- Southern Cone Dissertation Prize, Latin American Studies Association
- Peter C. Marzio Award for Outstanding Research in 20th-Century Latin American and Latino Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- The Modern Women’s Fund Internship, Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Studio Museum in Harlem and The Museum of Modern Art Joint Curatorial Fellowship, New York
- Mellon Curatorial Fellow in Latin American Art, Blanton Museum of Art
- Initiation Scholarship, Brazilian Studies Association
Please also consult information provided by UT’s Graduate School.
Information for International Students
CLAVIS welcomes international students. We regularly train doctoral students from abroad, often in partnership with the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, which funds students through binational commissions/foundations or U.S. Embassies. UT also sponsors a program specifically for students from Mexico (ConTex).
Prospective students who are not U.S. citizens are encouraged to consult the following: