I began to work on vehicle systems research in 1997 through some center activities and continue to date on individual projects with students and collaborators.
From 1997 – 2007, was UT site-director for a National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center (I/UCRC) collaborating with The University of Iowa’s National Advanced Driving Simulator. This was the NSF I/UCRC for Virtual Proving Ground Simulation (main site directed by Dr. Ed Haug), which ended in 2007.
I also collaborated with Bill McBride (Southwest Research Institute, now retired) and Eric Krotkov (Griffin Technologies, now with Toyota Research Institute) studying the mobility of small unmanned robotic vehicles, with emphasis on the iRobot Packbot.
- Albert Espinoza (PhD, expected May 2021)
Publications / Products
- Espinoza, A.E., T.M. Dar, and R.G. Longoria, Extracting vehicle-terrain interaction parameters using tracked robot onboard sensing, Modeling, Estimation, and Control Conference (MECC), Austin, TX, October 24-27, 2021 (to be presented).
- Longoria, R.G., R. Brushaber, and A. Simms, An in-wheel sensor for monitoring tire-terrain interaction: Development and laboratory testing, Journal of Terramechanics, Vol. 82, April 2019, Pages 43-52
- LeSage, J.R., and R.G. Longoria, Mobile system shutdown prevention via energy storage-aware predictive control, American Control Conference (ACC), 2016, July 6-8, 2016, Boston, MA.
- LeSage, J.R. and R.G. Longoria, Mission Feasibility Assessment for Mobile Robotic Systems Operating in Stochastic Environments, Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Special Issue on Stochastic Models, Control and Algorithms in Robotics, Vol. 137, no.3, October 2014
- LeSage, J.R. and R.G. Longoria, Characterization of Load Uncertainty in Unstructured Terrains and Applications to Battery Remaining Run-time Prediction, Journal of Field Robotics, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 472–487, May/June 2013
- Dar, T.M. and R. G. Longoria, Slip estimation for small-scale robotic tracked vehicles, American Control Conference, June 30-July 2, 2010, Baltimore, MD, p. 6816-6821, 2010
- Gulati, S., C. Jhurani, B. Kuipers and R. Longoria, A Framework for Planning Comfortable and Customizable Motion of an Assistive Mobile Robot, The 2009 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2009), October 11–15, 2009 , St. Louis, MO
- Patil, C.B., Longoria, R.G., Modular Design and Testing for Anti-Lock Brake Actuation and Control Using a Scaled Vehicle System, International Journal Of Vehicle Systems Modeling And Testing, Vol. 2, No.4, 2008, pp. 411–427
- Solis, J.M., Longoria, R.G., Modeling Track-Terrain Interaction for Transient Robotic Vehicle Maneuvers, Journal Of Terramechanics, Vol. 45, 2008, No. 3, pp. 65-78
- Wang, J., Longoria, R.G., Coordinated and Reconfigurable Vehicle Dynamics Control, IEEE Transactions On Control System Technology, Vol.17, 2008, No. 3, pp. 723-732
- Wang, J., Solis, J.M., Longoria, R.G., On the Control Allocation for Coordinated Ground Vehicle Dynamics Control, American Control Conference, New York, NY, pp 5724-5729, 2007
- Wang, J., Longoria, R.G., Coordinated vehicle dynamics control with control distribution, American Control Conference, Minneapolis, MN, pp 6pp, 2006
- Wang, J., Longoria, R.G., Effect of Computational Delay on the Performance of a Hybrid Adaptive Cruise Control System, 2006-01-0800, SAE Journal Of Passenger Cars – Electronic & Electrical Systems, Vol. 115, pp. 307-316, 2006
- Wang, J., Longoria, R.G., Combined Tire Slip and Slip Angle Tracking Control for Advanced Vehicle Dynamics Control Systems, IEEE Conference On Decision And Control, San Diego, CA, pp 1733-1738, 2005
- Longoria, R.G., A. Al-Sharif, and C. Patil, Scaled Vehicle System Dynamics and Control: A Case Study on Anti-Lock Braking, International Journal Of Vehicle Autonomous Systems, Vol. 2, 2004, No. 1/2, pp. 18–39
- Patil, C.B.; Longoria, R.G.; Limroth, J., Control prototyping for an anti-lock braking control system on a scaled vehicle, 42nd IEEE Conference On Decision And Control (CDC 2003), Maui, Hawaii, published by IEEE, Vol. 5, pp 4962 – 4967, 2003
- McBride, B., R.G. Longoria, and E. Krotkov, Measurement and Prediction of the Off-Road Mobility of Small Robotic Ground Vehicles, 2003 Performance Metrics For Intelligent Systems Workshop (PerMIS’03), Gaithersburg, MD, published by NIST, 2003
- Kypuros, J.A. and R.G. Longoria, Variable Fidelity Modeling for Vehicle Dynamics using and Element Activity, 2002 ASME IMECE Automated Modeling Symposium, New Orleans, LA, published by ASME, November 2002
- Zhang, Fu, R.G. Longoria, R. Thelen, and D. Wardell, A Simulation-Based Design Study for a Locomotive Electric, 7th International Conference On Modeling And Simulation Of Electric Machines, Converters And Systems, Montreal, Canada, August 18-21, 2002
- Efatpenah, J.H. Beno, S. Nichols, and R.G. Longoria, Challenges in Controlling Active Suspension in High Speed Vehicles, International Mechanical Engineering Congress And Exhibition (IMECE), Orlando, FL, November 5-10, 200
- Paynter, H.M. and R.G. Longoria, Efficient Computer Models of Automotive Fluid Couplings and Torque Converters, ASME Fluid Machinery Forum, Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, Washington, D.C., June 21-25, 1998
Supervised doctoral dissertations and masters theses
(in reverse chronological order 2001-present)
- Natali Salas-Espana, The Design and Safety Analysis of an Accessible Low-Cost Differential Drive Robot Under LIDAR-Based Obstacle Avoidance (MS Thesis), May 2021.
- Partha Ainampudi, Box Pushing with a Mobile Robot Using Visual Servoing (MS Thesis), May 2019
- Jonathan LeSage, Energy storage-aware prediction/control of mobile systems with unstructured loads (Ph.D.), August 2013
- Mathew Bissonnette, Adaptive vehicle control by combined DYC and FWS (MS Thesis), May 2014
- Tehmoor Dar, Vehicle-Terrain Parameter Estimation for Small-Scale Robotic Tracked Vehicle, December 2010
- Junmin Wang, Coordinated and Reconfigurable Vehicle Dynamics Control (Ph.D. Dissertation), May 2007
- Fernand Thomassy, Performance simulation and verification of a continuously variable planetary (CVP) transmission (MS Thesis), May 2006
- Javier Solis, Modeling and Simulation of a Robotic Tracked Vehicle in Off-Road Terrains (MS Thesis), May 2005
- Chinmaya B. Patil, Anti-lock Brake System Re-design and Control Prototyping using a One-Fifth Scale Vehicle Experimental Test-bed (MS Thesis), August 2003
- Anish Mathews, Implementation and Testing of a Nonlinear Fuzzy Rule Based Algorithm for Antilock Braking of a Scaled Vehicle (MS Thesis), December 2002
- Gilberto Lopez Classification and Testing of Paved Road Surfaces for Vehicle and Tire Modeling (MS Thesis), December 2002
- Jerry Cuderman, Performance of passenger vehicle anti-lock braking system: an experimental study (PhD Dissertation, with Kurt Marshek), December 2001
- Amrou Al-Sharif, Design and Development of a Scaled Test Laboratory for the Study of ABS and other Active Vehicle Systems (MS Thesis), August 2001