Houston Methodist’s Nurse Residency Program has been designed to take new baccalaureate prepared nurse graduates beyond their formal education. A collaborative venture with the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™, the NRP offers support to baccalaureate prepared nurses by cultivating their leadership abilities and professional development.
You can register here. All candidates must register to be considered for residency. Note, the application is still open for the October 2022 cohort. Please wait until Sept. 1 to register.
Houston Methodist’s CCNE accredited Nurse Residency Program offers practical solutions to dilemmas that nurses often face and has proven to be very effective in fostering confidence and guiding new nurse graduates through their transition to professional practice. In addition the new nurse develops confidence and clinical competency throughout the residency program.
- A 12-15 month program to facilitate transition into practice.
- Curriculum follows Vizient/AACN program, focusing on leadership, professional role, critical thinking and patient outcomes
- A series of thoughtfully developed classes that will enhance skills in critical thinking, assessment, leadership and clinical decision making.
- Required participation in monthly sessions
- Transition from entry-level, advanced beginner nurse to clinical leader at the bedside
- Develop effective decision making skills related to clinical judgment and performance
- Incorporate research-based evidence into practice
- Professional growth and development
- Develop, implement and disseminate an evidence-based project
- Successful completion of an accredited BSN or MSN program
- Eligible for RN licensure in Texas or GN permit (issued with your authorization to test)
- Recommended Nursing GPA of 3.0 or greater (HMH Medical Center requirement is 3.2 or greater)
- Letters of recommendation upon request
- Must be your very first nursing job – change to Less than six months of nursing experience
In addition, please ensure that you have completed all the required elements in the registration process. If at any time you do not meet the requirements for the graduate nurse position, you will not be able to move forward in the registration process.