POSITION SUMMARY: The purpose of this program is to provide the new graduate nurse with the opportunity to partner with a Registered Nurse Preceptor in a work/study environment in order to increase competency in caring for acute care medical/surgical patient. This orientation program includes a combination of didactic, clinical, and special observation opportunities. This position will be available to recent graduates of an accredited school of nursing. The incumbents will be trained for a period of three (3) months in the areas of emergency medicine, telemetry, medical surgical, and pediatrics. Upon the conclusion of this orientation, the incumbents will be assigned to these areas as needed for a period of six (6) months.
JOB KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE: Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition: “The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health alternations.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required
- Current registered nurse’s license in the State of Texas
- Current BLS certification.
- ACLS or PALS certification within six (6) months of hire (as applicable to department)
- Participation in one Hospital Shared Governance Committee after completion of internship
- Participation in Unit Shared Governance Council required after completion of internship
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of nursing, administration, and physicians
- 3.0 GPA required
- BSN preferred
- 250-500 word typed essay (Why did you decide to go into Nursing? What specialty area would you like to be considered for and why? What individual strengths would you bring with you to the program?)
- 2 letters of recommendation (clinical faculty or recent employer). Letters must be sealed.
- Official school transcripts
- 16 week program
- Initial didactic (meets weekly)
- Quarterly follow ups throughout the first year