Gio Ponti

For the last several weeks this particular building has been calling my name. I hear the wind blowing through its window cavities. It whispered at me saying, “just pause, take a moment, and just watch.” But in the hustle and bustle of things, I’ve ignored it. I paused for a second on Friday, but didn’t listen … I continued on. Finally, on Monday, I took a moment to look deeper into the structure. Low and behold, it was Gio Ponti’s church of San Francesco D’Assisi. It was beautiful, majestic and grand in its simplicity. It only asked you to listen and pause for a moment. The beauty of its simplicity came across that particular moment. That cloud, that car rushing by, and the woman going into confession would only be there at this time and place … with me composing and adding texture of that particular moment. This would never happen again as it just had.

Additionally, adding to the abstract moment of that time and place there were other physical elements that added to the experience. There was a quiet yet powerful organ … Sitting there … with its ceremonious stance, just waiting to be touched. To be played as it was meant to be played. Yet, at that particular moment, it was there, reserve,  just for me to enjoy. Peaceness.