Alessi

Week 2 passed by so fast. By the end of the week, we went to the Alessi Museum. We had to wake up early and take a bus ride from the Cadorna station to there. The weather was cool and refreshing that very woke me up when we arrived the Alessi Museum.

These sculpture and building really caught my attention when we first got there. I didn’t know that it was a real project until later. But later, we were welcomed by Alessi’s stuff with a free hot drink which was a totally a plus to my personal experience at the museum. After the small break with my Italian cappuccino, the staff gave us a long but impressive lecture about the history and goals of Alessi as a company:

“A true work of design must move people, convey feelings, bring back memories, surprise, transgress… It must make us feel intensely that we are living our one single life.” —— Alberto Alessi

The criteria formula that they mentioned was interesting for me too:

SMI (Sensoriality Memory Imaginary) + CL (Communication Language) + F (Function) + P (Price) = SSS

For Alessi, it is almost impossible to make something that can be perfectly scored using this criteria test.  Therefore, Alessi would prefer to sacrifice the price and the function of the object to have a more personal and communicational product: “For Alessi, Design is not a simple formal project for an object but it is a sort of “overall philosophy”. ”

After the visit to the Museum and the lunchtime, I took a small walk with Moira in the city Omegna which was a really nice ending to my second week in Italy.

Picture of the week