An internship for engineering graduate students, especially PhD students, transcends traditional disciplinary boundaries. Students will gain convergent research experience and technical proficiency in a professional setting as well as increased self-efficacy and confidence.
INFEWS Scholars will spend at least one summer or semester interning at a government agency, private company, national lab, or nonprofit organization.
The following organizations have hosted our program’s interns:
- Government Agencies:
- Texas Water Development Board (TWDB)
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
- Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA)
- Austin Water Utility
- GSI Environmental, Inc.
- Carollo Engineers, Inc.
- HDR, Inc.
- National Labs:
- Sandia National Laboratories
- Los Alamos National Lab
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Rowan University
- Urban Information Lab at UT Austin’s School of Architecture
Additionally, the LBJ School of Public Affairs places up to 150 students in internships per year, with assignments to nonprofit, federal, state, and city/county organizations. Students may be placed in an internship via the LBJ School as well.