Completion of the following UT courses or the equivalent (an academic summary will be required to verify completion of the below-mentioned courses):
6 hours of biology
- BIO 311C: Introductory Biology I
- BIO 311D: Introductory Biology II
- BIO 315H: Adv Intro to Genetics: Honors
- BIO 325H: Genetics: Honors
Note: Medical Terminology is no longer a requirement!
A minimum of 80 hours of college volunteer experience in a hospital or clinical setting.
Note: The minimum volunteers hours must be obtained only by the beginning of the Intern Semester, not necessarily by the time of applying.
- Verification of hours will be required from the volunteer department(s) where the hours were acquired
- GMT trips, hospices, and the UHS are all appropriate clinical settings
- If you apply to the program during your first year at UT, you may include up to 40 hours of volunteering from your high school experience.
- Please note that employment hours do not count towards the volunteer hours requirement.
- Only 40 hours from medical mission trips may be counted towards the required 80 hours of volunteer work.
- Vocational training, such as required clinical rotations for EMT or CNA training cannot be used for the required volunteer hours.
- 1 letter from a college professor or lecturer
- Graduate research assistants, and postdoctoral associates may write your letter of recommendation, but the letter must be co-signed by the faculty member or principal investigator who supervises them. Letters of recommendation from a teaching assistant will not be accepted.
- Your letter writer need not be associated with The University of Texas at Austin, but must be on the faculty at a university or university-affiliated research institution.
A list of tentative activities is needed for the upcoming semester
- This list should include planned coursework and times as well as extracurricular activities and/or employment
- You must not have class, work, or other commitments before 12:00 pm at least two weekdays per week. Keeping a clear schedule until at least 12:30 pm on these days is strongly recommended, but not required. Having a third morning per week in which to schedule shadowing is suggested, but not required.
Your vaccination record should show that you have had these vaccinations
- MMR x2
- Measles x2
- Mumps x2
- Rubella x1
- Varivax (Varicella) x2
- Hepatitis B x3
- Td x1
- Tdap x1
- Seasonal Influenza Vaccine
- TB Skin Test with a result in mm (Within 1 year of shadowing end date – if you are applying to HCMP for the Spring 2016 semester, May 2015 is the earliest accepted TB test date)