Milan – Sketchbook

Milan is filled with hidden gardens, whether they are in the courtyards of buildings or if you look up to the rooftops. I was amazed at how there is so much vegetation in such an urban city, and wanted to explore the different ways urban plant life flourishes compare to many of the most populated cities. A key factor I am sure is the climate and fertile soil within Italy, but I hope there is a way to spread this idea of continuing to have plant life as populations continue to grow in urban cities. At the Exhibit at the triennale Milano of Women Italian Designers, towards the end of the exhibit had petite circular windows that I noticed many people just walked by. Once you look through the windows there was a larger than life flowerpot, and a huge bird in a bird nest. This was a true exaggeration of how hidden and quaint so much of the vegetation is within Milan. The next buildings such as the Bosco Verticale (Vertical Forest) and CityLife by Hadid are great examples of how we can have Vegetation flourish and have sustainable residential buildings and continue to help urban biodiversity grown.sketch1 sketch2 sketch3 sketch4