Students auditioning for the Longhorn Band Color Guard (both new and returning members) must complete a preliminary audition by submitting a video online. The audition will occur in 2 steps:
Step 1: Fill out the preliminary audition form
Step 2: Submit a preliminary audition video
Once you have submitted these materials and they have been reviewed, you will receive an email updating your audition status. If you have passed the preliminary audition, you will be invited to attend our color guard camps in July (attending one of these is required unless excused by the color guard director) and the final audition will be during Band Week in August. The final audition will consist of a short flag routine and a marching component (this audition occurs the 2nd day of Band Week).
Your video audition should consist of:
- An unlisted YouTube video with your name and EID to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions due by June 24, 2023.
- Introduction (name, hometown, year in school, major)
- The Basics:
- Drop Spins – left and right
- Carves – left and right
- Pull/pole Hits – left and right
- J-Toss (single and 1 ½ rotations) – left and right
- Create a 30 second to one-minute max routine to music of your choosing which includes:
- Body/ movement underneath equipment (dance)
- Exploration of different planes
- Body control while manipulating your equipment
- Proper technique (the basics)
Please record yourself performing all of the above preliminary audition material with your fully body visible throughout the recording. We prefer that your audition video be either one continuous video file. If necessary to film in multiple takes, please edit these together into one video file.
Attire and appearance: all black, form fitting ensemble in either shorts, tights or leggings so your feet and ankles can be seen. Make sure your face can be seen throughout the video. (if need be, please pin your hair back)
When you are ready to submit your preliminary audition video, please send a link (Unlisted and not Private if on YouTube) of your video no later than June 24, 2023 (by 11:59PM) with BOTH your name and UT EID to email@example.com.
This will complete the submission of your preliminary audition. The office staff will reply when they have received your video and forwarded the information to our color guard director. Within a week or so, you will be informed via email whether you have passed and are moving on to the next part of the audition.