Thank you for your interest in joining Longhorn Band and Texas Drums! Below you will find information regarding audition requirements, dates, and more. Should you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Reese Maultsby (Instructor and Arranger) at email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preliminary Video Audition Requirements
All prospective and returning members are required to submit a preliminary video audition. The priority deadline for submission is April 30th, 2023 by 11:59pm.
Results from this round will be sent out via email on May 7th, 2023, which will include the rest of the audition material (musical excerpts, cadences, traditionals, etc.) for the live audition.
July 30th, 2023, is the final day video submissions will be accepted—though preference will be given to those who submit by the priority deadline.
Submit your preliminary video audition here: https://airtable.com/shrzhDC95P4oNjrNt
Required Video Audition Materials:
- 8’s: 1 rep at 144 bpm
- Accent Tap: 1 rep at 124 bpm
- Thirteen: 1 rep at 84 bpm
- Double Beat: 1 rep at 156 bpm (dotted quarter = 156 bpm)
- DB Tag: 1 rep at 156 bpm (dotted quarter = 156 bpm)
- Flamz: 1 rep at 108 bpm
- Rollz: 1 rep at 156 bpm
- Snare Drum PDF Download
- Tenor Drum PDF Download
- Bass Drum PDF Download
- Cymbals PDF Download
- Audio Download
- Please make sure all stick heights, hands, playing surfaces, and feet are clearly visible.
- Bass drums: angle your position so that the right-side drumhead is facing the camera
- Drums are preferable to pads, though it will not negatively affect your results if you do not have access to an instrument.
- An audible metronome is required during playback.
- Mark time to every exercise.
- Individual takes of each exercise are acceptable, as long as it is part of one whole video.
- Bass Drums and Cymbals: Select one part for the entirety of the video, please do not switch from exercise to exercise (still playing all unisons and splits accordingly).
- Memorization is preferred, but not required. (Memorization is required by the live audition).
- Please upload your audition video to YouTube with either a public or unlisted publishing setting (NOT private, please).
Live Audition Requirements
After submitting a video audition, all prospective and returning members must attend the live audition weekend on August 12th and 13th, 2023 to be considered for Texas Drums. Over these two days, we will be going over our “On the Green” performance material. The final audition consists of an individual audition as well as our first full group run of the “On the Green” sequence (emailed to you once a video audition is received). Exceptions will be given to those with extenuating circumstances, though further application material may be asked of you. Please email Reese Maultsby (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns about this.