Application Deadline: May 17, 2019
American Councils for International Education and Fairfax County Public Schools/TJHSST will offer a professional development program for teachers of Russian:
“Roadmap for the Teaching and Learning of Russian with the World-Readiness Standards”
Program Dates: July 15 – 26, 2019 (FAIRFAX, VA)
Arrival Date: Out of town participants may arrive on Sunday, July 14, 2019.
Last Day of Program: Friday, July 26th is a half day. Program ends by Noon.
This standards-based course is designed to provide teachers of Russian an intensive two week professional development program that focuses on current pedagogical theory in the teaching and learning of Russian. Program discussions will the NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements and ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines. Participants will also learn how technology can help their students increase language proficiency, and how to develop assessments that target the three learning modes. Other discussion topics will include how to create comprehensible input in classes that leads to comprehensible output, as well as more advanced elements of differentiated instruction. Micro-teaching and observation will be integral parts of the course. A two day MOPI (Modified Oral Proficiency Interview) training workshop will be included in this program.
During the course of the program, teacher participants will:
· observe Russian language lessons in our co-existing student program
· design mini lessons to demo in the student program
· have access to shared lessons created within the teacher program
· learn and review how technology can be integrated with lessons
Participating teachers will receive:
– Full Program Tuition
– A two day MOPI (Modified Oral Proficiency Interview) training
– Certificate of MOPI Participation from ACTFL
– STARTALK Professional Development Certificate of Program Participation
– A modest stipend upon successful program completion
– Optional graduate credit at a special registration fee
For out of town participants we provide:
Lodging in historic Old Town Alexandria, VA
Daily Breakfast is available at the hotel
Teacher participants will not have to purchase software or any other materials in order to successfully complete this course.
Bringing a laptop or other electronic device is recommended
Applications for 2019 are due by May 17, 2019 and are available: https://tinyurl.com/2019startalkteacherprogram
For additional information, contact Nataliya Ushakova at firstname.lastname@example.org or (347) 267-9826