Deadline for Submissions: May 15, 2019
The 2019 Canadian Association of Slavists/Taylor & Francis Book Prize has released a call for submissions! Please note that all submissions must be postmarked by or on 15 May 2019. Full details follow in English below.
The book prize jury consists of three members chosen by the CAS executive. Nominations for the 2019 Book Prize competition are to be postmarked by or on 15 May 2019. The prize winner will be announced in an e-mail to CAS members and on the CAS/CSP website in September 2019. The winner receives a cash award of $500 CAD and recognition at the annual conference of the Canadian Association of Slavists.
Rules of eligibility for the Canadian Association of Slavists/Taylor and Francis Book Prize competition are as follows:
- The copyright date inside the book must list the previous calendar year as the date of publication (the book must have been published in 2018 to be eligible for the 2019 competition).
- The book must be in the form of a monograph, preferably by a single author, or by no more than two authors.
- Authors must be citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- The work must originally be published in French or English either in or outside Canada.
- Works may deal with any aspect of Slavic, East European, or Eurasian Studies (languages, literatures, cinemas, cultures, visual arts, politics, history, etc.).
- Textbooks in the strict sense of the word do not qualify, but a broad interpretive work of a major period or area qualifies.
- Translations, bibliographies, reference works, edited volumes, and smaller works such as pamphlets are not eligible.
Nomination for the prize can come from an author, a third party, or a publisher. There is no limit on the number of entries a publisher may submit.
Send an e-mail to the office of Canadian Slavonic Papers/Revue canadienne des slavistes (firstname.lastname@example.org) to notify the Canadian Association of Slavists of your intent to nominate a publication for the CAS’ Taylor and Francis Book Prize. Please copy this e-mail to yourself as well.
Send one copy of the eligible monograph to each member of the book prize jury (write to us at email@example.com to obtain their addresses). Submissions should be marked “The Canadian Association of Slavists’ Taylor and Francis Book Prize Nomination.” If you would like to receive an acknowledgment that your nomination was received, please enclose with the copy mailed to a jury member a note with your e-mail address or a self-addressed stamped envelope. Nominations must be postmarked by or on 15 May 2019 to be eligible for the 2019 competition.
It is the responsibility of the author (if s/he self-nominates), his/her nominator, or his/her publisher to send the books to the jury. Please note that books sent to members of the jury will not normally be returned once the competition is over. However, special arrangements to return a book may be made between a jury member and nominator after the competition ends.