Deadline: Open Until Filled
Middlebury College is urgently seeking a Russian Language Teaching Assistant for the 2020-2021 academic year. The position entails residing at the Russian House on campus for the academic year (health and safety conditions permitting), or working remotely in the event campus should be evacuated. In addition to living at the Russian House, the Language Teaching Assistant will organize supplementary cultural activities and programming for students of Russian at the college, provide support for language courses in the Russian Department, (including leading discussion sections), and tutoring for students of Russian at all levels at Middlebury. Taken together, these responsibilities will comprise approximately 20 hours of work per week in the fall and spring semesters, with the opportunity for additional hours during Winter term in January.
While this is not a full-time position, it might be a good fit for a graduate student on their way to an advanced degree. Compensation includes room and board, as well as insurance, and $16.25 per hour. Start date TBD, but likely mid to late August.
· B.A. or equivalent degree in foreign language instruction, the humanities, or second language acquisition required; work in progress toward advanced degree (M.A., ABD PhD) preferred.
· Native or near-native proficiency in Russian (both written and spoken)
· Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
· Permission to reside and work in the United States
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· Experience working at US educational institutions or programs; experience working in a small liberal arts college is preferred.
· Experience with teaching Russian as a foreign language to US students (beginner to advanced, in person and/or remotely) is highly preferred.
· Willingness to enroll in one course at Middlebury College for the fall and spring semesters (required).
Middlebury College is a top-tier liberal arts college with a demonstrated commitment to excellence in faculty teaching and research. An Equal Opportunity Employer, the College is committed to hiring a diverse faculty as we work to foster innovation in our curriculum and to provide a rich and varied educational experience to our increasingly diverse student body. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please address a letter of application and CV to Kevin Moss, Chair of Russian: email@example.com. We hope to fill this position by mid-July.