Welcome to the graduate program in Art Education at The University of Texas at Austin. Consult the Graduate Handbook for information regarding the course options for the four tracks (schools: without certification OR plus Texas K-12 certification; museums; or community):
Study Option A
“Schools” Those students wanting to enhance their knowledge of art education at the elementary and secondary school levels.
Study Option B
“Museum” Those students interested in learning about and working in the field of art museum education.
Study Option C
“Community” Those students desiring to investigate and conduct professional activities in community-based art organizations.
Study Option D
Schools/Plus Certification: Those students interested in enhancing their knowledge of art education at the elementary and secondary school levels AND leading to Texas all level art certification.
The Master of Arts in Art Education program has five primary objectives. These objectives are designed for each student to:
- Investigate current and relevant topics, issues, and questions in art education.
- Consider and explore the range of diverse locations where meaningful art education can occur.
- Develop the skills necessary to achieve success in art instruction, presentation, and curriculum development.
- Recognize significant historical and philosophical foundations of art education.
- Be prepared to undertake and successfully conduct research on a significant aspect of art education.
The 36 credit hour graduate program in Art Education includes courses focused on foundational considerations, contemporary issues, research design, and culminates in a thesis or applied research-based project within the field of art education. Flexibility in the plan of study within the Division of Art Education enables each student to cultivate her or his own personal research interests within art education, including those related to public school instruction, museum education, or community-based art education.
Graduate Committee and Proposal Meeting form to download and complete: AED Capstone Thesis Proposal Meeting Form
AED Capstone Project Committee Signature Sheet: AED Capstone Project Committee Signature Sheet