Deadline for applications: October 16, 2017
American Councils for International Education is currently accepting applications for spring 2018 semester Balkan Language Initiative.
The American Councils Balkan Language Initiative provides graduate students, advanced undergraduates, working professionals, and scholars intensive individualized instruction in the languages of the Balkans. Participants may choose to study one of 5 regional languages including:
- Albanian in Tirana, Albania
- Bosnian in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Bulgarian in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Macedonian in Skopje, Macedonia
- Serbian in Belgrade, Serbia or Podgorica, Montenegro
THIS PROGRAM OFFERS…
- Comprehensive, two-day pre-departure orientation in Washington, D.C. as well as on-site orientation in each host city;
- Expert faculty and classrooms of only 1 to 3 participants to maximize individual attention to each learner’s needs;
- 15 hours per week of in-class target language instruction in grammar, phonetics, conversation, culture and area studies;
- Housing with carefully-vetted host families;
- U.S. academic credit (administered through Bryn Mawr College);
- Conversation partners who assist U.S. students with language learning;
- Creative excursions that go beyond typical tourist destinations and offer students new insights into the host country life and culture.
Students admitted to the Balkan Language Initiative are eligible to receive financial support from a wide range of sources, including the U.S. Department of State (Title VIII), Boren, FLAS, and the American Councils Study Abroad Scholarship Fund.
APPLICATION & QUESTIONS
Prospective applicants should check the program website for more information and to access the online application. The application deadline for these programs is October 16, 2017. Please direct any questions regarding the application process to the AC Study Abroad Team (phone: 202-833-7522; email:email@example.com).