Deadline for applications: December 1, 2017
The Alfa Fellowship Program was founded in 2004 with the goal of fostering a community of emerging leaders who have first-hand experience in the business, public policy, and cultural environments of Russia and the region. Since then, over 150 Americans, Britons, and Germans have been able to work, live, and travel in Russia through this unique professional opportunity. The program is funded by Alfa-Bank, and is administered in the U.S., U.K., and Germany by Cultural Vistas and in Moscow by the Fund for International Fellowships and Cultural Dialogue.
Alfa fellows have a demonstrated interest in Russian and European/Eurasian affairs, exceptional academic and professional credentials, proven personal initiative, and clear goals and expectations for their professional assignments. Fellows are between the ages of 25 and 35 with graduate degrees and professional experience in business, economics, journalism, law, public policy, or related fields. Fellows possess leadership potential and are active in community or public service. While Russian language skills vary, most successful applicants have studied Russian for at least two years at the postsecondary level.
The Alfa Fellowship Program includes the following provisions:
- Round-trip transportation to New York City or London and accommodation (if needed) for selection interviews
- Orientation seminar in Washington, D.C., including speakers, activities, travel, and accommodation
- Program-related transportation between U.S./U.K./Germany and Russia
- Pre-departure and Russia-based language training
- Moscow Seminar Program, including briefings, assignment planning, and excursions
- A generous monthly stipend during the program in Russia
- All program-related travel within Russia
- Accommodation in Moscow
- Limited international health, accident, and liability insurance during the program in Russia
The Alfa Fellowship Program online application must be submitted by 11:59PM EST on December 1 and all supporting documents must arrive by the same date. In order to gain access to the online application system, please visit the website fill out an application request.
Please be sure to review both the instructions below and the frequently asked questions here prior to beginning your application.
The Alfa Fellowship Program application must be submitted online no later than 11:59PM EST on December 1, and any supporting documents not submitted online or via email must arrive in hard copy by the same date.
The following documents are required as part of your Alfa Fellowship Program application:
- Current resume/CV
- Personal statement, two pages maximum.
- Russian writing sample
- Please note: if you have ever studied Russian, you must submit a writing sample in Russian, regardless of your level. If you have never studied Russian, please submit a statement in English detailing other languages in which you are proficient, and when and where you acquired those language skills. Statements in languages other than English or Russian will not be reviewed.
- Official graduate transcripts from most recent/current degree
- Two letters of recommendation
Application and Selection
Selection for the Alfa Fellowship Program will be conducted on a competitive basis. A joint Russian-U.S.-U.K.-German Selection Committee will nominate up to eighteen Americans, Britons, and Germans to be awarded Alfa Fellowships at selection interviews held in New York City for candidates based in the U.S., and in London for candidates based in Europe. Please see the Program Year page for additional details.
Notifications of selection will be sent within several weeks of completing the selection interviews
The Alfa Fellowship Program is sponsored by AO “Alfa-Bank”. Founded in 1990, Alfa-Bank is a full-service bank operating in most sectors of the financial market, including retail and corporate lending, investment banking, leasing, factoring and trade finance.
According to its IFRS Consolidated Financial Statements as of December 31, 2016, the Alfa Banking Group, which comprises ABH Financial, Joint Stock Company Alfa-Bank as well as its subsidiary financial companies, had total assets of $38.2 bn, gross loans of $23.9 bn, and total equity of $5.7 bn. Net profit for 2016 amounted to $527 mln.
As of December 31, 2016, the Alfa Banking Group has served around 334,000 corporate and 14.3 mln retail customers, while the branch network consists of 733 offices across Russia and abroad, including a subsidiary bank in the Netherlands and financial subsidiaries in the United Kingdom and Cyprus.
Alfa-Banking Group has a long history of supporting charities, Russian culture, and developing programs for young talent.
In the U.S./U.K./Germany:
Attn: Alfa Fellowship Program
440 Park Avenue South, 2nd Floor
New York, New York 10016
Telephone: +1 212 497 3510
Fax: +1 212 497 3587
Fund for International Fellowships
and Cultural Dialogue
Noviy Arbat 21, Suite 939–940
Telephone: +7 495 981 8412