Academic Job: Academic Director and Instructor (Bishkek)

Deadline to apply: January 15, 2018

The American University of Central Asia (AUCA), in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, is currently seeking an Academic Director and Instructor in Russian/Slavic studies for the Spring and Summer of 2018.

The successful applicant should hold a Ph.D., or currently hold the status of A.B.D., in the field, have experience teaching Russian at the undergraduate and/or graduate level, and preferably have experience with either administrative duties and/or Russian language course-design. Funding is currently pending, and will be provided by the Critical Language Scholarship Program (CLS). Upon successful completion of the position the applicant may be considered for future
employment at AUCA.

The CLS Russian Program at AUCA in the summer of 2018 is designed for 15-20 U.S. citizen undergraduate, Master’s and Ph.D. students. The main aim of the program is to provide group-based intensive Russian language instruction and structured cultural enrichment and exchange
for the U.S. students who have had some experience studying Russian in the U.S. and abroad. The Academic Director’s duties will begin in February of 2018 and conclude by September of 2018.

Academic Director

The Academic Director will have experience in teaching Russian as a foreign language and will be responsible for overseeing the work of other Russian language teachers. The Academic Director will be partially involved in teaching (25% of FTE will be spent on teaching during the summer) and the rest of the time (75% of FTE) he/she will be working with teachers and manage the overall program.

Starting from February 2018, the Academic Director will work on the program to monitor the design of a comprehensive placement test and intensive curriculum for the summer. In the spring, the teachers will be trained on the intensive curriculum.

When the students are in the summer program, the Academic Director will do the following:

* Design and oversee the academic placement process for all students;
* Work with other staff members (teachers, Resident Director) to address student challenges;
* Work with Russian teachers to make fast adjustments to curriculum, homework levels, feedback styles;
* Assist, if necessary, in assessing student progress;
* Work with the Resident Director and other staff members to quickly identify students who are struggling and come up with a plan to support them.

Applicants should send 1) CV, 2) Letter of Introduction and Interest, and 3) two Letters of Recommendation, to Dr. Duane Lacey (, and Dr. Steven Clarke Kessell (