Course: Fall 2021 Texas Venture Labs Practicum

Deadline: March 28, 2021

Jon Brumley Texas Venture Labs (TVL) is now accepting applications for our Fall 2021 TVL Practicum class. If you would like to learn more about this unique course and our other programs, please attend one of our upcoming info sessions.

The TVL Practicum is a cross-campus elective course that teaches graduate students how to work and consult with startups. Multi-disciplinary teams of grad students work through a project-driven curriculum that immerses them in research, teaches about business strategy and terminology, and provides a framework for strategically thinking through business problems to directly deliver positive outcomes for Texas-based startups. These startup companies are from our TVL Accelerator and engage with the students as “consulting clients”, so this is real-world, hands-on experience for course credit!

Here is what TVL Practicum alumni have to say about their experience:

“I really enjoyed working with a team of students who had expertise in areas that I didn’t have…this further highlighted how diversity is so important. The experience was very similar to the consulting work I’m doing now and I think it prepared me well.” Tammy Chun – MBA 2020, Consultant at Boston Consulting Group

“The learnings in this class directly fed into all the non-technical aspects of working in a corporate setting and has definitely given me a boost as I navigate my career going forward…a great addition to the skillset I already had.”  Aditya Jain – MS in Computational and Applied Mathematics 2020, Data Scientist at SparkCognition

“TVL Practicum gives you behind the scenes access to real startup challenges.”  Aimy Steadman – MBA 2013, Founder & COO at Future/Proof

Fun fact: Many of our students come from UT’s non-business colleges and do extremely well…in fact, our MBA and Law students learn a great deal from them as they work through their projects together! We always receive positive feedback from graduate students, with many coming from disciplines outside of McCombs Business School. Because we are cross-listed in many departments, the TVL Practicum is fantastic opportunity for grad students to network beyond their existing ecosystem.

We would love to share with current grad students how participating in this elective can help them expand their knowledge base, their networks, and become strong leaders in their future careers.  Here is a link to register for an info session: https://bit.ly/TVLinfo21s