Full-time and part-time paid research internships at The Washington Institute are open to current undergraduates – preferably juniors and seniors – as well as recent graduates with a bachelor’s degree. Interns provide research and administrative support to Institute staff from our DC office. We offer Fall, Spring, and Summer internships in DC.
Interns are assigned to specific research programs based on their skills, experience, and interests.
Our list of possible internships include:
- Arab Politics (proficient Arabic required)
- Arab Politics (proficient Russian required)
- Arab Politics (general)
- CT and Intelligence (on illicit finance): Background in economics/finance preferred.
- CT and Intelligence (on counterterrorism): Background in counterterrorism research preferred.
- Gulf & Energy (general)
- Iran (proficient Persian reading required)
- Middle East Peace Process (mapping role): Experience working with data/mapping preferred.
- Middle East Peace Process (general)
- Military and Security (general)
- Project Fikra (editing skills required): Background in editing/journalism preferred.
- Turkey (proficient Turkish required)
- Turkey (general)
On the application, you can select which internships you are qualified for and you can select several internships to apply for at once (do not submit multiple applications). Please note that several positions require language capabilities. Not all internships are available every season.
Internship applications will be collected on a rolling basis throughout the year. Most Spring internship decisions are made in November; Summer decisions are typically made in April; Fall decisions are typically made in June.
If you have further questions, please email email@example.com. No phone calls, please.