Amnesty International USA seeks a volunteer Country Specialist to help monitor the human rights situation in Russia and support in mobilizing action to promote and protect human rights in these countries. AIUSA’s Country Specialists serve as country experts and strategists and are part of a corps of volunteer leaders known as the Coordination Group program, which is organized by sub world region.
The Russia Country Specialist will join AIUSA’s Eurasia and Turkey Coordination Group (also known as Cogroup), which consists of skilled, dedicated specialists working closely with AI staff and others to advance human rights in the Eurasia and Turkey region. This volunteer position is an exciting opportunity to contribute your human rights passion and expertise while leveraging and expanding your skills. You’ll get training and support by AIUSA and be part of a community of activists advancing human rights in Russia.
As Russia Country Specialist you’ll work with partners to:
- Routinely monitor the political and human rights situation in Russia, with a solid understanding of AI’s policy and specific concerns pertaining to Russia.
- Develop and implement action strategies for Russia in coordination with Amnesty International’s researchers and campaigners around the world and the Advocacy Director of Eurasia.
- Provide general assistance, information, and actions to AIUSA members and activists seeking to work on issues related to human rights in Russia.
- Assist the organization in developing and maintaining contacts with counterparts in other human rights organizations, solidarity groups and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with AIUSA Advocacy Directors on any aspects of AIUSA’s legislative work pertaining to Russia i.e. communicating with US State Department desk officers, US embassies abroad, foreign embassies in Washington DC and consulates throughout the US.
- Serve as AIUSA’s liaison to colleagues working on Russia at Amnesty’s International Secretariat.
- Provide expert letters of support for Russian asylum seekers and occasionally testify at hearings.
- Serve as spokespersons for Russia for AIUSA; respond to and initiate media coverage on the relevant country or theme. This includes both domestic and international print, TV, radio, and digital outlets. Work with relevant staff to maintain/update country or thematic pages on AIUSA’s website and to create/publish online actions and blogs.
- Engage and work in partnership with Russian diaspora groups on AIUSA’s specific priorities.
You’re the ideal Russia Country Specialist candidate if you have these qualifications:
- Based in the United States, willing to commit to the role for a minimum of two years.
- Substantive knowledge of human rights issues and trends in Russia.
- Familiar with advocacy or research relating to the rights of civilians in conflict, women, peace & security, and/or minority rights.
- Experience with grassroots campaigning and/or Amnesty International.
- Familiarity with international human rights standards.
- Experience studying or supporting civil society, human rights, gender equality, LGBTI rights, or fundamental freedoms in Russia.
- Comfortable speaking out on human rights either on social media, in front of a public audience, by lobbying members of congress or through writing.
- Engaged and responsive.
- Knowledge and fluency of Russian or other regional languages is preferred.
- Thoughtful, respectful, and committed team member dedicated to human rights in Russia and ready to join our team.
- Able to commit a sufficient amount of time to accomplish the tasks outlined above.