Deadlines: November 1, 2021; March 1, 2022
Applications are now being accepted for Spring and Summer 2022 study abroad programs in St. Petersburg. With the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), U.S. students can take advantage of our longest-running U.S. study abroad Russia programs with abundant cultural and co-curricular opportunities and an incredible alumni base.
To mitigate COVID-19 risk while abroad, we have rigorous CIEE Health and Safety protocols and guidelines that encompass housing, student life, classes, and activities. All local staff, faculty, and host family members will have received a full course of vaccination before the program starts.
Financial aid is available through CIEE’s extensive scholarship and grants programs, and students can feel confident applying without incurring financial risk through CIEE’s Program Assurance Advantage, which allows students to change, defer their programs or receive a refund, in case their program is cancelled.
Spring Russian Language Program (RLP) offers: Intensive instruction in grammar, phonetics and conversation matched to student level and taught in groups of six to seven students at St. Petersburg UniversityElective content-based courses taught in Russian by expert faculty at St. Petersburg UniversityOpportunities to conduct research by taking the three-credit elective Directed Independent Research. Former students’ DIR topics included: Heroism and Trauma: Memory of the Second World War in St. Petersburg; Negotiating Queer (Im)possibility in the Russian National Imaginary; Influence of the Russian Orthodox Church on the Russian Public Education System; Phonetic Characteristics of Speech DisordersMandatory pre- and post-OPI testing during the first and last weeks of the program. Tutoring by qualified instructors of Russian as a foreign language
Dates: February 4 – May 21, 2022
Application Deadline: November 1, 2021
This 8-week program at St. Petersburg University offers intensive instruction in grammar, conversation and phonetics at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. Additionally, the program’s curriculum includes the three-credit course, “Discovering Russia: Music, Film and Current Press,” taught in Russian by expert faculty. Tutoring by qualified instructors of Russian as a foreign language is included in the program fee.
Dates: June 11 – August 6, 2022
Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
This 4-week program at St. Petersburg University offers a three-credit content-based course delivered in English and an optional one-credit Communicative Russian Language course designed for students who have no previous knowledge of Russian.
Dates: June 13 – July 11, 2022
Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
All CIEE programs include:
- An introduction to practical matters of living in the city and being in the program.
- Diverse cultural activities and volunteer opportunities to promote intercultural understanding.
- Projects with Russian peers for language and cultural immersion, including the ‘Sobesedniki’ (language buddies) program.
- Rigorous CIEE Health and Safety protocols, including COVID-related guidelines designed to mitigate COVID-19 risk while abroad. These protocols encompass housing, student life, classes, social events, and more. All local staff, faculty, and host family members will have received a full course of vaccination before the program starts.
- US academic record administered through Tulane University iNext travel and medical insurance, which includes COVID-related medical expenses.