You can only have one active Peace Corps Volunteer application, so choose a position that best fits your skills and interest. You have the opportunity to tell us if you’d like to be considered for other openings and more about the ones that interest you most!
As a Community and Organizational Development (COD) Volunteer, you may be placed with either a local government unit (Municipality Regional Council) or one of a variety of different community-based organizations. Depending on your background, you may be placed with a department within Municipal Unit (Social Services, Planning, or Development Department), a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) or other institution. Project activities are focused in several key areas: municipal development, business development, tourism/cultural development and preservation, youth development (including youth employability and job skills) and/or capacity-building in the areas of information and communications management and technology. Post may find a limited number of sites that can utilize Volunteers with education or experience in GIS/Mapping or Information/Communication Technology Development, but this may not likely be the primary focus of one’s site assignment
COD Volunteers often target youth and work to increase their capacities in starting up businesses, developing their entrepreneurial skills, and provide employability trainings to teach skills such as resume writing, cover letter writing, and job interviewing skills. Volunteers and a local counterpart are often the main liaison with their community’s Youth Council, working to develop internship programs, civic awareness campaigns and other community projects.
Depending on the specific placement, your role may be to work in partnership with the key actors in the community, to build the capacity of local institutions, or to increase the involvement of citizens and youth in local decision-making. You may facilitate collaborative activities between local non-governmental organizations, businesses, and citizen groups. You may provide assistance to all sectors of the community in strategic planning or in project design and management. You may also support the development of non-governmental organizations and youth groups, depending on locally- identified needs.
Other potential activities include:
• Coordinating with other Peace Corps Volunteers in the sphere of youth development and employability and implementing grassroots community development projects.
• Providing direction and training within specific areas of expertise; i.e. marketing, administrative, financial, IT or business English.
• Becoming aware of and competent in the use of all available resources for community development; i.e. small project grants, etc.
• Providing support in editing materials that are prepared by your organization in English, basic training in the use of computer hardware and software, and at the same time helping your colleagues improve their business – English skills.
• Improving marketing PR strategies of organizations and businesses.
• Conducting needs assessment surveys to determine development opportunities within the community and organization.
• Building the capacities of your counterparts in management, organizational development, customer service and financial management.
• Promoting networking and partnership-building in communities among business development organizations, local governments, NGOs and citizens groups; and between these groups and outside resources.
• Providing assistance to all sectors of the community in strategic planning or in project design and management.
Despite the challenges, there are many opportunities for change and growth, and increasing attention is being paid to the development of local capacity of local organizations. You will find support for your activities from both the host agencies that have requested you, and from organizations working to promote civil society and institutional development in the country.
Competitive candidates will have one or more of the following criteria:
• Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree in any business discipline
• 5 years professional experience in business management
For more information, and to apply, click here.