This section provides instructions on payments, reimbursements, and travel planning for presenters, artists, guest lecturers, consultants, some professional services, and other general services to be provided to the Butler School of Music.
Please submit all requests using the link above at least 30 days before the start of service, and all international requests 60 days before the start of service. Requests sent via email will be redirected to this link.
- Non-Employees, paid with a Purchase Order – Heather Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents
- Non-Employees, paid with a Contract – Andrea Melendez, interim email@example.com
- International guests
- Current UT Students, paid using Workday – Theresa Orendain firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exception: Students providing a musical performance will be paid using a PO
- Current UT Staff or Faculty, paid using Workday – Andrea Melendez email@example.com
- Guest Artist Travel – Heather Lewis firstname.lastname@example.org
Standard Payment Procedures
Most guest artists will be paid using a Purchase Order.
- Upon receiving a guest artist payment request, staff will confirm that the guest is already in our vendor system and has direct deposit. If they are not, staff will send them a Payee Information Form and a Direct Deposit Form. Guest’s do have the option to opt out of direct deposit, if they wish.
- Once the vendor forms are completed, the guest will be added to our vendor system, an Employee/ Independent Contractor Classification Checklist (EICCC) will be completed, and a Purchase Order will be approved and sent to the guest and faculty host prior to the service start date.
- Upon completion of services, staff will send the guest an invoice via DocuSign, which, once signed, is submitted to the business office for final processing and payout.
Guest Artist Procedures
The University is able to book and/or reimburse flights, hotels, and rental cars for guests, as well as reimburse meals, taxis/ubers/etc, and mileage. Flights and rental cars are booked using Anthony Travel, and hotels are booked directly with individual hotels. Our preferred hotel is the AT&T Hotel and Conference Center, with a UT rate of $199/night. This option is not always available, particularly during city-wide events like ACL or South by Southwest.
All reimbursements require itemized receipts, excluding meals of up to $51 per diem. Mileage reimbursements require exact starting and ending addressing.
Paying International Artists
Payments and travel arrangements for international artists require additional levels of approval. Please keep in mind that artists cannot be guaranteed payment or travel authorization until all University approvals are in place. This can sometimes take 6-8 weeks depending on the types of approval needed.
Confirming U.S. employment authorization is vital for requesting travel or paying international artists. There are various types of employment authorizations: tourist visa with a business authorization, special student visa authorization, etc. Please ask your guest about this. Even if they will be providing services remotely, we are still required to receive permission and documentation.
More information is available below on a method of travel authorization that some visitors may be eligible for, if they do not already have U.S. travel/employment authorization.
Information on B-1 Visas and Waivers
Traveling under a B-1 nonimmigrant visa or WB visa waiver allows the University to pay your guest an honorarium and reimburse expenses for travel, meals, lodging, and other basic services incidental to lecturing, guest teaching, presenting a speech, or other academic event participation. However, the honorarium or expense reimbursement cannot be paid if they have accepted similar honoraria or expense reimbursement more than five times in the last six months or will remain at The University of Texas at Austin for more than nine days. Please note that not all guests may qualify for a B-1 visa or waiver.
If your guest would like to use a B-1 visa or waiver to travel and provide guest services and they do not have any other U.S. employment authorization, please contact Andrea Melendez (email@example.com) for further instructions as soon as possible.