In order to meet the needs of our student body, we assign instruments on a priority basis that depends on which class or ensemble requires the instrument.
To check out an instrument, fill out the
Instrument Request Form.
Upon faculty approval, allow 24 hours for instrument requests to be processed. Requests will not be processed until approval has been granted by the selected faculty sponsor. You will be contacted via email when your request has been entirely processed and the instrument is ready for pickup.
Our inventory is quite diverse and comprised of different makes and models. Because of this, we rank our instruments with a tier system. Generally speaking, the higher the quality or make of the instrument, the higher the tier. This system does not affect the timing in which you receive the instrument you need.
Tier One: Top ensembles and replacement studio instruments
Tier Two: Tech classes, secondary lessons and ensembles
Accessing your Instrument
Depending on the use of your instrument, you can expect to receive it within these time frames:
Ensembles and / or Music Majors in Registered Music Courses: 1st Week of Semester
Registered for Secondary Lessons: 2nd Week of Semester
Non-majors registered for Music Classes: 3rd Week of Semester, and dependent on inventory availability
NOTE: At this time, we are not able to provide instruments to non-music majors who are currently not enrolled for a registered music course
By renting an instrument from The University of Texas, you are responsible for:
- Returning the instrument bowered, in person, in the same or better condition, exclusive of normal wear and tear, on the due date indicated and during advertised business hours.
- Paying the full current replacement value for the instrument to The University of Texas at Austin in the event of loss or theft.
- Not permitting the instrument to be used by anyone other than yourself or other explicitly authorized individuals. Authorization requires appropriate faculty approval. In addition, each student sharing the instrument will be held equally responsible for any replacement or repair costs incurred.
In addition, you understand that:
- This instrument is provided exclusively for functions of the University of Texas at Austin, and the violation of this accepted policy may cause you to forfeit the privilege of borrowing instruments in the future.
- The instrument is subject to recall at any time upon notification by an authorized member of the Butler School of Music staff.
Unless otherwise specified by an authorized member of the staff, all instruments must be returned or renewed by the last day of final exams for the semester in which the instrument was borrowed.
If the instrument is not returned by the last day of final exams:
- A bar will be placed on the student’s account.
- The student will be charged a late fee of no more than $10 per day, per instrument, for each day after the due date.
- After one month, the student will be responsible for the replacement of the instrument and the full replacement cost will be applied to the student’s account.
More questions? Email the instrument room staff at: Instruments@mail.music.utexas.edu