Deadline for Applications: March 15, 2017
The Russian Studies Workshop (RSW) at Indiana University (IU) is offering $6500 to cover tuition/mandatory fees (approximately $3000), and living costs to eligible students who enroll in a 6-credit graduate Russian course in the IU Summer Language Workshop (SLW) during the Summer 2017 session.
Eligibility: Students who: 1) are entering a PhD program in a social science discipline at a US university in Fall 2017; and 2) intend to study Russian at any level in SLW from June 5 to July 28, 2017.
Deadline for submission for all materials: March 15, 2017
- Submit an application to the IU Summer Language Workshop: http://bit.ly/2jnxwiC
- Submit the following items by email to Mark Trotter at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship application” in the subject line:
- A 400-750 word personal statement that outlines the role of Russian language in your research and training program.*
- A list of two or three recommenders (see item 4 below) with their titles, affiliations, and email addresses.
- Send all official transcripts* of undergraduate and graduate study to:Mark Trotter
Attn.: Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship
Russian and East European Institute
School of Global and International Studies
330 North Jordan Ave
Bloomington, IN 47405
- Arrange for two to three letters of recommendation:
- Two letters should come from faculty in your major field of study who know you personally and can comment on how a fellowship to support the study of Russian will further your academic career.
- If you plan to study Russian at the second-year level or higher in Summer 2017, please submit an additional (third) letter of recommendation from a foreign language instructor.
Letters should be sent by the referees via email to Mark Trotter at email@example.com with “reference for Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship” in the subject line, or by surface mail to Mark Trotter at the address above.
The applicant must request letters of recommendation and provide recommenders with submission instructions. The Russian Studies Workshop will not contact your recommenders to request letters. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Awards will be announced by April 30, 2017.
*Applicants for the Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship are encouraged to also apply for other SLW funding opportunities. Transcripts, personal statements, reference letters used for the RSW fellowship may be submitted for consideration in another SLW fellowship competition for the study of Russian. Information can be found at the following links, FLAS: http://sgis.webhost.iu.edu/flas/ Title VIII: http://indiana.edu/~swseel/funding-costs/title8#domestic.