GDAD Capstone Course
The 2D Capstone Course in the GDAD Program at The University of Texas at Austin occurs each fall and challenges students to utilize all their new skills to create a final project. Undergraduates from the Departments of Arts and Entertainment Technologies, Computer Science, and Radio-Television-Film were assigned to one of four teams, and each team developed their own unique 2D video game.
Below are the results of the Capstone.
An intrepid group of adventurers, creatures of all shapes and types, have fallen into a mysterious chasm during their search for the legendary treasure. With no other options, they delve deeper into the caverns but are confronted with monstrous creatures beyond their understanding. Take command, build your team, beat the monsters, and escape the abyss.
Genre(s): Tactical Strategy, Rogue-like, Fantasy
Platforms: Mac, Windows, and Google Play
Expected ESRB: E+10 for Fantasy Violence, Mild Language
- Isaac Adams – Programmer, Game Designer
- Yinglei Fang – Programmer, Game Designer
- Tasmi Islam – UI Artist
- Alan Lujano – Character Artist, Animator
- Melina Rosales – Environmental,Cinematic Animator
- Natalie Tobita – Sound designer, Scrum Master
- Patrick Zhang – Programmer, Game Designer
Rem is a private investigator who traverses Nightmare Realms with his partner, Elio. When faced with the strangest mystery of his career, will he turn and fight, or lose himself to the void?
Genre: Narrative-Driven 2D Action Platformer
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Xbox
Expected ESRB: Rated T for Cartoon Violence, Disturbing Themes
- Jiaxin Huang – Programmer, User Interface Artist
- Shanth Koka – Programmer, Level Designer
- Mihir Kolte – Game/Creature Designer, Animator
- Nat Lee – Art Direction, Audio, Scrum Master
- Eric Li – Programmer, Movement Designer
- Jennifer Nguyen – Narrative Designer, Artist
Team 3 Meat
Sleep Cycle is an action-packed, twin-stick shooter rogue-lite game. Trapped in a simulation with your trusty teddy bear, you must fight to escape. Throw your bear, hyperlink enemies to create paw-some combos, and collect upgrades for your taskbar! Will you escape this procedurally generated simulation? Or will you be trapped fur-ever?
Genre(s): Action, Twin-Stick Shooter, Roguelite
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Web
Expected ESRB: E for Everyone
- Daniel Better – Sound Designer, Composer
- Marin Clark – Designer, Programmer, Character Artist, Scrum Master
- Joey Genet – Programmer, Designer, VFX Artist
- Xiaowen Huang – Character Artist, UI Artist
- Jules Valle – Environment Artist, Illustrator
- Harrison Ward – Programmer, Designer
Tales of Kogi
Deep in the spirit forest, a young kitsune named Kogi begins his trial to gain his tails. You must use your spiritual abilities to traverse across various terrains full of yokai, who all seem to be friendlier than you might think. After gaining all your tails and powers throughout the trials, the young kitsune can finally become a fully-fledged guardian spirit.
Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Platformer
Expected ESRB: E for Everyone
- Soo Jung Aguilar – Character Art/UI Artist
- Cristian Astorga – Programmer
- Belle Avena – Environment/VFX Artist
- Dane Hildreth – Audio Designer/Level Designer
- Noah Kuhn – Programmer
- Yujie Tao – Narrative Designer/Level Designer
- Kasey Wu – Character Artist/Animator/Scrum Master