Note, the same cautions associated with images apply to PDFs. Upload only one version of the file and name the file appropriately. We also recommend that you optimize the file as much as possible.
You can only upload a 2MB file or smaller. If a larger file or file type is required or if you have any difficulty with these steps, please contact the COFA Web team.
Upload the Document
It’s easiest to upload the document to the Media Library before you even start editing the page.
- Click the “Media Library” link in the administration menu
- Click the small link at the top of the page, “+ Add file”
- Choose the file from your desktop and click the “Upload” button.
- Hit Next
If you’ve forgotten to upload the file before creating the page, you can use the Media button:
- Put the cursor in the Body field in the location you want it to be added.
- After you have chosen the file from your desktop and click the “Upload” button.
- Set the Display as field to “Default”
- Hit Submit
- A link to the pdf will be inserted into the Body field but you will want to change the link text. You will need to edit the link text without completely deleting the link by placing your cursor after the first character and begin typing, then delete all of the original file name characters.
When using this method, it will automatically insert the PDF icon and file size:
Insert the link to the PDF in a page
- Follow the above instructions to add the PDF to the Media Library
- Type the text that you want to be the link
- Select the text
- Click the link button
- Make sure the Link Type is “Internal path or PDF” and begin typing the name of the PDF in the auto complete field.
- Click OK
- Type the file size in parenthesis after the link.
- Add the required link to Adobe Acrobat Reader.
When using this method, it will only show the file name. If you want the PDF icon to display, you will need to manually insert the image.
Accessibility & Courtesy
The file is required to be accessible for people with disabilities. Watch the 8 minute tutorial on how to make PDF documents accessible. You are also required to have a link to Adobe Acrobat Reader, http://get.adobe.com/reader/ on any page that includes a PDF document. If you have more than one PDF document you only need to include the link to Acrobat Reader once.
For improved usability you’re encouraged to also type the file size next to the link and, if possible, provide multiple versions.
Following is an example of what it should look like on your page:
Download my document (245 KB).
You may need to install Acrobat Reader to access this document.