There are several things you can do to help people find your website and make search engines, like Google, weigh your site higher in results:
- Use standard compliant code that is well formatted with headings.
- Use keywords, phrases and terms that you believe people will be searching for.
- Use contextual links, in other words, use keywords in your links.
- Use keywords in your headers.
- Use a unique HTML Title tag for each page on the site.
- Ask affiliated sites to link to you.
- Cross link between pages on your site. Provide more links to the most important content.
- Update the content on your site often.
- Adhere to accessibility guidelines. Search engines, like Google, rate sites higher when accessibility features are in place.
- Create or update Wikipedia and Wiki Data entries to improve Google search Knowledge Panels.
- Write contextual alternate text for images using keywords.
- Use descriptive file names.
Check out the Beginner’s Guide to SEO from MOZ. Read Fundamentals of SEO and Using Accessibility to Improve SEO on LinkedIn Learning. Protecting and Promoting Your School’s Brand on Google on OHO Interactive.