AVANCE assists families with enhancing parenting skills, promoting children’s success in school, and breaking trans-generational cycles of poverty. Those we serve are predominately Spanish speaking, low-income, and arrived in the U.S. very recently. AVANCE’s overarching goal is to provide families with the tools to thrive, ensuring that parents have the self-confidence and skills to support their children, and that their children enter school ready to succeed academically.
The following intern and AmeriCorps opportunities are currently available. Please note that all AmeriCorps positions may be substituted for internships depending on the needs of the applicant. Internships are unpaid but do count as college credit. If you have another interest which you believe can be carried out through AVANCE’s work, we are always open to new ideas to enhance capacity and strengthen the agency.
Positions Available for Fall 2013 Semester:
- Research & Development Internship: Research and Development interns will not only perform research duties such as data analysis and fact finding, they will also have the opportunity to research funding opportunities and assist in event planning, donor recognition initiatives and resource building for the overall advancement of AVANCE-Austin.
- Marketing Communications Internship: The intern will assist with event planning (including fundraisers and celebrations for participants in our Parent-Child Education Program), utilize digital platforms to publicize the work of the organization, and work with staff to develop new marketing strategies and fundraising campaigns.
- Early Childhood Internship: This position will work alongside AVANCE’s Early Childhood Instructors in providing developmentally appropriate learning experiences for young children, with a focus on pre-literacy, math, and mental, emotional and physical development leading to age appropriate school readiness.
- English Language Internship: This position will be assisting the ESL Instructor and working one-on-one with the more advanced level students and helping them gain more conversational skills. AVANCE ESL instructors intern will also have the opportunity to assist in the early childhood classroom, so that children from Spanish-speaking homes to encourage early literacy in English and bilingualism.
- Parent Facilitator Aid: The Parent Facilitator Aid will assist Program Facilitator in providing pregnant parents and parents with children from 0 to 3 years of age parenting and early childhood education and support group services. The Parent Facilitator Aid will assist in translating guest speakers into Spanish, secure guest speakers to the sites, volunteer coordination, data entry and other duties related to the program.
Go to www.avance-austin.org/support-us/jobs-internships/ to learn more about each position, responsibilities, qualifications, and how to apply.