The Visual Arts Center (VAC) is a 13,000 square-foot gallery situated in the College of Fine Arts at The University of Texas at Austin. Our mission is to provide a platform for artists, curators, and educators to experiment, test ideas, and take risks. Through our exhibitions and public programs, we aim to spark generative conversations about art and contemporary society. We believe art has the potential to unite, inform, and inspire us to take action toward creating a more just world. The VAC is always free and open to the public.
The Curatorial Intern is supervised by the VAC Director and will work closely with the entire VAC team, and specifically the Director, Gallery Manager, Chief Preparator, and Curatorial Fellow. Primary responsibilities include assisting with upcoming exhibitions, public programs, and development initiatives. This includes research for Spring 2022 exhibitions and a large group exhibition slated to open in Fall 2022. The Curatorial Intern will work with the Director and the VAC Gallery Manager on public programming for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022, including artist talks, conversations and other forms of programming. The Curatorial Intern will assist the Director with development research, including foundation and donor research, creating Excel spreadsheets, maintaining correspondence with donors, assisting with development programming in-person and online.
The Curatorial Internship is a 10 – 15 hour per week position starting Sept 13, 2021 and ending May 31, 2022. Some work can be performed remotely.
- Assist the Director with research for upcoming exhibitions at the VAC, such as creating artist files for each artist; supporting artist in residence research at UT; assisting with other organizational tasks.
- Research related to upcoming exhibitions and create electronic research files for this material.
- Compile high resolution images and image captions for artist files to be used for VAC website and press purposes.
- Draft exhibition-related texts in consultation with Director and Gallery Manager.
- Support Director and Gallery Manager with organization and logistics for public programs, including: correspondence, descriptive texts, tech needs, and marketing efforts.
- Assist Director with development-related research.
- Work with Communications Director on interdepartmental communications and social media campaigns.
- Maintain weekly office hours and meet with VAC staff on Zoom or in-person as needed throughout the course of the internship.
- Maintain weekly gallery hours (as needed).
- Microsoft Office Suite; Adobe Office Suite; knowledge of contemporary art; excellent communication skills; organized; enthusiastic; enjoys working with others in a collaborative and creative atmosphere.
The Curatorial Intern will receive $1000 per semester, $2000 for the academic year.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND:
Recent writing sample (10 pages maximum)
Submit via email as a PDF to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: August 6, 2021